Neon Tetras with white lumps in mouth and fin roth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsucre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

Most of my 6 month old neon tetras are getting a white lump (pimple?) next to their mouth. Also, their back fins are getting rot (incomplete, white coloration).

The coloration (red, blue, ...) of the fish is OK (even better than ever), the fish seem to be doing OK, eating and swimming with the rest. This is a planted tank. All water factors seem OK (neutral Ph, slightly acidic, no amonia, no nitrite, low nitrate, 29C temp, slightly tanned -- tetra black water extract), etc. Other fish in the tank are: adonis pleco, black widdow tetra (6), black tetra (6), tetra serpae (6), arlequin rasboras (7). All fish seem healthy.

The problem with neon tetras showed up a couple of months ago (even longer). I have tried Melafix. Also, used salt in the past, but afraid to use it now because of the pleco (read it was not good for them).

Attached is a photo.

Your help is appreciated.

Rsucre

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,125
I would took away the ill fish from the tank. In my case fin rot had been cured with using of UV sterilisator.

It looks like neon tetra disease to me. The fin rot is likely a secondary infection. It is contagious to other neons and also some rasboras and barbs as well. You really need to remove the infected fish to a quarantine tank if you can before they infect your other fish. Unfortuneately I have not heard of any cure for Neon Tetra Disease. If anyone else knows of one, please chime in.

Thanks for the replies. Notice that the fish have been living with these pimples for months. They have not lost appetite, coloration, no change in behavoir. Don't have a quarantine tank available. Should I euthanise them? I'm worried for my other tetras (lemon, black, skirt and serpae). I notice that the serpae sometimes pick on others. That may be the cause for the fin nip/rot.

Back
Top Bottom