Neons breathing rapidly...no other signs of illness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty, here's an update. All 9 Neons are now in quarantine. The three I previously had in there continued their odd gasping and one of them definitely developed pop-eye.

After observing the DT over the last few days, a few of the other non-QT'd ones began the same odd breathing symptom. To be on the safe side, I transferred the others in with the three and began a regiment of Macaryn to treat the pop-eye and potential bacterial infection going on.

The one with pop-eye has turned quite darker than the others (I would expect him to turn more pale...odd) and I'm beginning to suspect NTD since there seem to be such random, unexplainable symptoms.

I'm unsure of the next step other than closely monitoring them for signs of improvement / deterioration. If the one with pop-eye does not improve in the next few days...it may be time to start considering preparing an ice bath :(

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
eco long time no talk how are the neons?

You're guess is as good as mine, hahaha!

In honesty, I lost 3 of them right after the last time we spoke. They died in rapid succession and are in the rose garden :-(

I fully expected the other 6 to end up in the same place shortly after, but they are all alive and swimming.

I am flabbergasted. They've been in the QT since I originally posted this, some days I think "okay, they're done for" and I fully expect dead ones in the morning...but to my surprise, they're all swimming around.

Other times I think they may be ready to go back in the DT...then the next day they seem to take a turn for the worse.

They all eat well, the QT has perfect water parameters and I do pwc's every 2 days, the rapid breathing has slowed...but I'm just absolutely baffled.

Their color is fairly washed out, even though the QT is appropriate (10 gallon), I decorated it for cover (I know this turns it into a DT instead of QT), and they really don't swim much. They tend to kind of huddle together.

If nothing else, thanks for bumping the thread for me. I'm more than willing to hear ideas. I'm not going to put them back in the DT, but I also don't want to turn my QT into a permenant Neon only tank since I'd be afraid to add anything else.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
this is the conondrum(sp?) theres no new symptoms? cataracts anything at all?

Nothing remarkable. Since they are washed out, a couple will have what seems like darker color splotches on them (sounds a bit like NTD?), but their behavior and health seem unbelievably erratic and unpredictable.

I'm clueless. I've never experienced NTD...thinking it could just be weak stock? Still seems odd though since I've had them for months and it all happened at once.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
im leaning twords NTD i wish we could tell if they're in pain or not

TBH, and I hate to say it...I thought about euthanizing all of them when the first 3 dropped. What stumps me is that they all eat heartily, and other than not being active (they were never really active in the DT either) I don't see clear signs they are in distress. The rapid breathing is definitely better for now, but tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if some were doing it again.

I appreciate you helping out wolf :)

any time eco i enjoy helping i especially want to get to the bottom of this as well. in all honesty i dont know how to approach this should you introduce them back to the DT?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
any time eco i enjoy helping i especially want to get to the bottom of this as well. in all honesty i dont know how to approach this should you introduce them back to the DT?

There's no way I'm throwing them in the DT unless I'm certain all is well. The fact 3 of them died and the rapid breathing went from one of them to all nine seems like there was / is something passing between them.

I'm clueless. If only there was a Dr. House for fish, lol.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
lol we would be cured by now do we consider euthinization now?

My mind can't justify it unless I'm certain they're suffering. 2 of the 3 were already dead when I found them...and the third got an ice bath after he became stuck to the intake (very efficient BTW). I'm kinda a softy, and it was sad to do it. I was actually telling him "I'm sorry" as I was placing him in the bowl :-(

i don't blame you but arnt ice baths not good for tropical fish? ive read manny a conflicting article. i wish we could find a cause or something thats treatable were just in a do nothing situation

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
i don't blame you but arnt ice baths not good for tropical fish? ive read manny a conflicting article. i wish we could find a cause or something thats treatable were just in a do nothing situation

What's bad is putting them in normal tank water and placing them in the freezer. Preparing a bowl of freezing water and placing them into it directly out of the tank is an instant shock to their system and immediately puts them out. I witnessed it first hand.

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
no problem i love to help :) on a side note do you know anything about chiclids?

Just what I hear on the site and the ones I had when I was a teenager and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. There's some really great guys in the Cichlids section of the site. Post something there and the guys will jump all over it :)

Back
Top Bottom