new Angel and Clown Loach not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snifflyfro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I've got my first two little guys, a clown loach and an Angel fish. I've got O.S.I. Freshwater aquarium flakes for the angel and wardley shrimp pellets for the loach. They don't seem to be eating though.

The fish are very small, so I broke the pellets in half, but am only tossing two in because i don't want to dirty the tank and I know he won't eat them. He picks at them so I figure he's getting something off of them, right?

The angel hasn't really gone for any of the flakes.

Is this normal for new fish? I figure they're still getting acquainted with the tank.

Thanks

Clown loaches are "happiest" in groups of three or more. How long have the fish been in the tank? What other fish on in the tank?

Its also quite likely the angel has no idea the flakes are food if its really small; its probably still used to baby brine shrimp. Try some frozen foods; bloodworm, BBS or adult brine shrimp and see if that appears more tempting. The clown will likely find frozen bloodworm irresistable too.

And yeah, the clown is going to need some buddies soon.

Menagerie said:
Clown loaches are "happiest" in groups of three or more. How long have the fish been in the tank? What other fish on in the tank?

I've read that, but I've also read that you should keep only one or more than three, so I went with only one.

I'm gonig to try the frozen blood worms, very good point that the little guy might not know its food, that's exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to tell him that those colorful little flakes are in fact food.

3 or one? That is usually the rule for semi-aggressives, like certain sharks and many gouramy. Bet the forum that had that info was the same one that guy with the "3 gallon reef tank" was posting at. Heh.
Go to the Loaches online forum and run that by the breeders and keepers of the loach flame. They'll have pitchforks and torches ready for that site! :p

And even one loach is still a 10-12 inch animal in an aquarium. That is like half your space right there..which Other single fish wil be his company..oh, angels..right. You are now already officially maxedd. Heh! (have that 20? gallon . The one that had the sandstorm when he added it dry. yes?)

*nods and agrees*

Clown loaches definitely need buddies; they are really social fish. Part of their instinctual behavior is sleeping in groups (a loach pile is a hilarious thing to watch!), and a single loach is going to feel exposed and insecure; consequently it will likely be stressed and not terribly healthy.

notice that my first questions were never answered... and other high-fish ranked members seem to request the information. If you can post them that would be nice...

OK now... let's start. I read quite a bit about clown loaches and I saw a large number of articles says one or more than three.

Christmasfish - It's called a bigger tank, ever heard of it. Got one sitting at home so why don't you stop attacking me.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .05
Nitrate: 15
PH: 7.2

Now that that's said I think I'm done with the site.

Now that that's said I think I'm down with the site.
Down with the site, or done with the site?
Just just everything else, we all have different personalities. The only thing that brings us together on this site is the respect and care we give to our fish. If you don't like Christmasfish's tone, ignore her.
I don't know where you read articles about clown loaches, but I researched them also--online and in books. There is a ton of conflicting theories, but the majority of what I saw supported the three or more hypothesis. I bought three and two died :cry:. To me, they seemed to do better in a trio, but until my LFS gets in healthier fish, I will not be replacing them.
As for the water parameters, any nitrites are harmful to the fish and you should do a water change. This *may* be affecting the fish's eating habits.

I have to agree with the sentiment on the size of clown loaches- they grow *very* slowly, and pose no immediate danger as far as their size goes..they seem to get to 5" and then "stop" for a while. I have only seen foot-long specimens in professional aquariums and zoos, while 10" specimens I have seen *once*, commanding a very high price at a specialty store in NY. (BTW- I'm not certain how big the loaches at loachesonline.com are, but they're at least big around the waistline ;))

Personally, I have kept two near-5" loaches in a 55g with no issues. They greatly enjoy swimming around with eachother and "piling" as Ali described. I am adding a third one only because it's about to outgrow the 20g it's in and is no longer needed for snail management there.

Your clown loach will need a friend(s) eventually. Keeping only one is hogwash except in temporary situations. :)

Sites that Advocate Clown Loach Companionship:

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/botia_macracanthus.html - THE authority on loaches, FYI. =)

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/clown_loach.htm

http://aquafiend.plantedtank.net/clown.html

http://species.fishindex.com/species_2858botia_macracanthus_clown_loach.html - Also has an account on breeding.

I doubt that this is the cause of its lack of interest in food, but it's still necessary. I don't even know why someone would want to keep a single loach, as they're a great deal more fun to watch when they're interacting with eachother rather than the glass.

I would go with what Ali suggested- keep monitoring both of them and offer more tempting foods than flakes. My loaches go nuts over mere shrimp pellets, but for sticklers on the eating issue get frozen or live worms of some kind. You might also try Natur'sDelica Bloodworms, as that drives nearly all my fish into a frenzy. Also, if you can obtain some *safe* (no pesticides, etc.) earthworms, chop 'em up and add a few bits at feeding time...quite hard for mine to resist.

You should try and find out what is causing your Nitrites to be noticeable if those are the only fish in the tank. Make sure they have adequate hiding places and shade from lights (if there are any) as well, especially the loach.

Also of note that a 3g reef is certainly possible and is by no means the smallest size reef tank that people maintain.

Gee, ,I didn't mean to have a "tone".
I wasn't attacking you at all sniffy.. I was trying to see if you were the same person who had the 20 gallon with the sand problem (which could happen to anyone..it was no big deal) to get a fix on your tank size. And Since then, as in 15 minutes ago I found the post. And it indeed was you.

And I did make a a rather snide comment on a example problem to put forth MY opinion on how erroneous the site that said One loach was. but that was not on you personally. Least not as I meant.

However I will disagree with the "slow:" growth theory. They grow as fast as they grow. Period. So adult size must always be kept in mind when keeping fish. That is how I learned it anyway.
My three clowns that were purchased February04 were all under 3 inches. they are now 7 almost 8-6-&5 inches respectively. Instead of waiting for my custom this July, I had to buy a 40 (they are with community.)
Now that my tetras are mostly adult sizes I have to upsize early again.
Sure..it's my personal problem. But an example of what may be.
And I refuse to think I am such a "natural" with fish that mine grow faster than EVERYBODY else's :roll: My supplier has blues and clowns over 8-10 inches that he has raised to that size in less than a year. His discus and angels are real nice sized too. and I have "watched" some of them grow.

So that was where my comments were heading, that a 20 can't hold the required 3 clowns and the "required" number of angels.
And my "answer" that your lonely onlies were suffering pangs of being single.
But honest..it was nothing on you personally. Certainly not an "attack"
I sincerely apologize that my short way of structuring my sentences came off as being critical. But really, even if I totally disliked you.. I am still only one member in hundreds.. Surely not caustic enough to make you leave a site. :(
And my "expert" (jeez I hate that word) experiences are in labyrinth fish and goldies..... Just because I am an insomniac and have a bunch of fishes under my name doesn't mean I am anything more than a fellow member.

In apology I will give you some of my Kudos.. please don't give up on an entire site for one opinion.

Back
Top Bottom