New Aquarium - white spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cainka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All, can anyone help. I am a newbie to fish keeping. Set up tropical tank (40 litres, internal filter, live plants) cycled and water tested all ok. After only a week added 6 cardinal tetras, fed small amount of flakes once a day.fish were fine for a week then I carried out a 25% water change! chlorinated and added filter boost to the new water before adding to the tank, the next day noticed 3 of the tetras had white spot. Unfortunately my store did not have white spot treatment in stock so I increased the temp to 28c and added 2 tablespoons of aqua salt (as advised by the store) and unfortunately over the next few days lost all 6 tetras. I am afraid to get any new fish as the white spot may still be present/active in the tank. Is this possible and if so how can I get rid of this?

know what you're dealing with! :)

It's probably ich

ich/ick = white spot
different name, same thing

Is your tank empty now? If so I would let it sit for a month, to make sure all the ich dies (without a host it eventually will, it's a myth that it wont). Do regular water changes and vacuum the gravel. Make sure your water parameters are good before and add a stress coat when putting in new fish. Stress can make your fish very vulnerable to ich and unfortunately most LFS have ich present in their tanks, so there is always a chance your fish will come with it. Also don't put the LFS water in the tank, scoop the fish out with a net. Because it is a fairly common disease, you might order a med online ahead of time just in case. Then if you do have an outbreak you will already have it on hand. Also, read the article on ich so you know what you are dealing with. :) Good luck!

Fish Disease Index: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. - Aquarium Advice

Just a note, the temperature needs to go to 30c for heat treatment. 28c would be too low I believe. Can I ask where you saw this though as it has popped up a few times. If you do a search on 'ich temperature life cycle' you will get some information to match with your tank temperature.

As mentioned leave the tank empty and bump the temperature up, even 34c, to speed up the ich cycle and kill it off faster.

Back
Top Bottom