New Black Molly died over the weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabrielle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so, I'm starting to feel like a god-awful fish owner because all of my posts are about unhealthy fish.... Well, I left for the weekend to spend time with my boyfriend who lives across the state. I left my roommate in charge of feeding them because in general, they aren't fussy fish and don't require CONSTANT attention. So I gave her instructions and everything was all fine and dandy, right? WRONG.

I was rushing out the door to catch my bus when I noticed something strange. A new black molly that I had purchased about a week prior had started pooping white, thick poop that was translucent with pink parts to it. Again, I was rushing and didn't have time to snap a picture.

Well, I google it on the bus and people were saying things like "It can change color sometimes, maybe a minor infection or parasite, no big deal, blah blah." So I go off for my weekend and enjoy myself. Well, I returned today to see my new molly dead and stuck onto the filter. My roommate didn't notice him behind the decorations in the tank, so there was nothing she could've done. I have no idea how long he was dead in the tank, but it couldn't have been more than two nights.

So, I get my little net and a plastic baggie with every intent to yell at the pet store owners tomorrow when I realize that he's not coming off the filter. Puzzled, I take a closer look and see that he is attached to the filter by a thick white strand of something coming from his anus. As in, the strand was sucked further in and was keeping him in place. So I manage to pull him off and put him in a baggie and I see the strand is about 2 inches long (the fish is about 2.5 inches long).

Now, here's why I'm posting about this. What is this? What killed him? Can it affect my other mollies? Will the fact that he was dead in the tank for who knows how long sicken the other fish? Is it contagious? What do I do if I see this again?

Now, I was treating the tank at the time with Melafix and Pimafix for some minor fungal issues and possible bacteria. The water parameters were all normal, ammonia and nitrites at 0, ph at 7.2, and nitrates in a safe zone. I had been treating the tank for one week and a few days. My tank is a ten gallon, population of 2 surviving female black mollies and 6 glofish (danios). All are practically babies (the one that died was the biggest, one left is 2 inches, and the rest are an inch or less) and are being upgraded to a 20 gal in a month.

I'll post pictures of the dead fish and strand. RIP 狗!

Attachments

• Deadfish.JPG
    Deadfish.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Deadfish1.JPG
    Deadfish1.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 119
Ewwwww!! I am so sorry that is totally sad.

well parasites are typically the cause of poop abnormalities and I think this guy had a mega-worm in his belly, super gross. looks like it could be possible to find the actual species of parasite from that photo, I would show the lfs you bought him from!

Yes, it was pretty gross :/ I feel bad for the guy. I bought him to even out the ratio with my mollies (two females), but... Well, do you know if this could affect my other fish at all?

It's possible, but not certain. The exposure time wasn't long and it depends on how intestinal worms reproduce. I might do a deep gravel vac and buy parasite treatment so if you see the first signs of infection by monitoring the other fish's poops closely you can begin to treat them accordingly

Actually to be very thorough you might remove all the substrate, bleach and rinse or otherwise sterilize it by boiling or whatever and keep the tank bare-bottom so you can see the fish waste clearly

Totally helped me when I treated a Betta with intestinal parasites. I was seeing stringy, clear and wispy looking poop and only saw it in his original cup he was from at first. I lost a second Betta we had bought the same day and was desperate to keep him alive, so I did a treatment in a hospital tank and used a turkey baster to find and remove each and every poop! A few days into the treatment they began to "normalize" and besides it keeps the tank tidy while healing from the process.

Good luck, I hope some others with experience will chime in!

Did the fish store people say if they saw other mollies with this parasite? I assume he came with an "infected" shipment that has been suffering as well.

Hope to hear someone else offer some insight on parasites??! Where are the smart ones when you need them, is it midterms or something? lol I'm only jk hehe

Back
Top Bottom