New dwarf neon rainbowfish not doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schlteacher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On Saturday I added 6 dwarf neon rainbowfish to my 45 gallon tank. Five of them are doing well; one of them is not. From the beginning it stayed off by itself most of the time. Today it has been just sitting in the back corner of the tank near the surface most of the day. It seems weak (moves a little bit but not much). I fed them twice today and both times it did not eat anything. At one point I thought I saw a whitish spot on its tail, but in different lighting I couldn't see it anymore.

Tank parameters: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10, temp 78, pH 8.2. 45 gallon tank set up about a month; did fishless cycle using old media and began adding fish last week. Aquaclear 70 filter. Other fish: 8 cherry barbs, 1 angelfish, 5 other dwarf neon rainbows, all doing well.

When I purchased the fish he had kind of mentioned one of them was not doing well, but when I said I wanted 6, it seemed like that was all they had and he just gave me 6 fish. I am guessing I got the one that was not doing well. My main question is whether I should just let this take its course, or if I should euthanize the fish so that if it has some sort of disease, my other fish don't catch it.

Sorry you lost it. Often fish are stressed at the store, long shipping, packed tank, new water...and then you buy it to take it home and more stress. Sometimes no illness at all. Keep the tank water fresh and clean, dim it for a few days to give the new fish time to acclimate if they seem stressed. No futzing around moving things etc. hope the rest are fine for you.

Back
Top Bottom