New eel won't eat... Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, so I bought an Indian striped peacock eel about a week ago for my 60 gal. and he hasn't eaten a thing all week. The other fish I bought with him are eating like pigs. He usually hides all the day long under the sand and I've only seen him with his head poking out 3 or 4 times. When I do see him, it's at around 9pm while I'm feeding my other fish. When trying to get him to eat, I get a turkey baster I use just for feeding my fish and I've tried frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, and live mealworms to no avail... I'm not sure what to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What re your parameters? New fish don't eat for a while, I don't know much about eels though. Could some other fish be stressing the eel and scaring it? What other fish are in the tank?

I'm saving up for a new water test kit and plan to buy one ASAP, but until then all I can go off of is that all the other fish are happy and healthy. I do a 35-40% bi-weekly water change, so the water is usually good. As far as tank mates, I have several angelfish, Odessa barbs, a paradise fish, a featherfin catfish, pictus catfish, geophagus abalios, Senegal Bichir, two zipper loaches and that's about it. I don't think he's scared of his mates, I saw him resting under a slanted rock with a zipper loach, and he didn't even flinch when my huge featherfin cat swam by.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom