New filter safe for quarentine tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karmachica

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g with 1 male peacock cichlid and 2 female peacock cichlids. My male has always been the boss if the tank and the females have always gotten along. After I did my weekly water change a few days ago, one of my females is now holding, the other female seems to want to be the boss of her and acts like she is the only one that can swim all over, and my male hasn't been chasing them both all over he just stays in his cave most of the time but doesn't seem to be sick or anything.

I'm concerned about the bossy female constantly picking on the female that's holding. Since she won't really be eating for a few weeks while holding fry, she's going to be a little weaker anyway, and being picked on I'm afraid the stress will be too much. I have a new 5g intended to be a quarantine tank - I was thinking of putting the holding female in there to reduce stress but not sure if its safe since I've never used the 5g and the filter is new. It's a tetra whisper micro filter. I use an aqua tech hob on my 29g.

If I put tank water from the 29g in the 5g, is that enough to be safe for my female right away? I don't want to put her in the QT to "help" her if its going to harm her instead. I have a bubble rock and heater for it too, but concerned about using a new filter. Also, would adding this new filter to my established 29g help getting the "new" out of the filter and make it more safe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

Back
Top Bottom