New Goldfish- White stringy poo and no appetite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feline9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just brought home a new fantail who I think is having some issues. He was put into his tank yesterday but I'd like to get some advice as soon as possible.

I'm concerned because he has a few problems going on:

The most obvious is his floating problem, where he has a tendency to swim with his butt above his head and float upwards, as well as flip over belly up when at the surface. He's actually quite active despite this, and when swimming could sometimes pass as mostly "normal", although his swimming can also be very uncoordinated.
(He was swimming like this when I got him. I work at an aquarium wholesaler and since they can only sell healthy fish, I took him in as a rescue)

The second thing I noticed was his lack of appetite. I tried to feed him goldfish pellets once he was set up in his tank, where he ate half of a small pellet (a whole pellet was too big, he tried eating one and couldn't fit it so I broke it in half) After some researching I decided to try feeding him peas (properly prepared and cut into small enough pieces). He displayed absolutely no interest in them. Today I got some of the food he is used to eating, as I thought he may be more interested in something that he knows is food and has eaten before. Although he showed a bit more initial interest, he only ate one pellet.

The third I noticed today was the white-clear stringy poop. It looked mostly clear, partial areas of it a more opaque white colour. I don't really know, but it didn't really look like air bubbles. It's hard to tell because of how small he is ( I'd guess he's maybe 1.5 inches??)

If possible I'd like to find out what the possible causes might be. I've heard it could be constipation, or a problem with his digestive tract, like bacterial infections or internal parasites.

I'd really like to figure out my options sooner than later, although I can post updates over the next few days to see any changes.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured more information was probably better >.>

So I just brought home a new fantail who I think is having some issues. He was put into his tank yesterday but I'd like to get some advice as soon as possible.

I'm concerned because he has a few problems going on:

The most obvious is his floating problem, where he has a tendency to swim with his butt above his head and float upwards, as well as flip over belly up when at the surface. He's actually quite active despite this, and when swimming could sometimes pass as mostly "normal", although his swimming can also be very uncoordinated.

(He was swimming like this when I got him. I work at an aquarium wholesaler and since they can only sell healthy fish, I took him in as a rescue)

The second thing I noticed was his lack of appetite. I tried to feed him goldfish pellets once he was set up in his tank, where he ate half of a small pellet (a whole pellet was too big, he tried eating one and couldn't fit it so I broke it in half) After some researching I decided to try feeding him peas (properly prepared and cut into small enough pieces). He displayed absolutely no interest in them. Today I got some of the food he is used to eating, as I thought he may be more interested in something that he knows is food and has eaten before. Although he showed a bit more initial interest, he only ate one pellet.

The third I noticed today was the white-clear stringy poop. It looked mostly clear, partial areas of it a more opaque white colour. I don't really know, but it didn't really look like air bubbles. It's hard to tell because of how small he is ( I'd guess he's maybe 1.5 inches??)

If possible I'd like to find out what the possible causes might be. I've heard it could be constipation, or a problem with his digestive tract, like bacterial infections or internal parasites.

I'd really like to figure out my options sooner than later, although I can post updates over the next few days to see any changes.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured more information was probably better >.>

Size tank? If was cycled before adding goldfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking parasites.

Keep the water as clean as possible.

PraziPro will treat for them. I'm sure there are other medications as well though.

Caleb

It's a 30L, it wasn't cycled yet. It came with water conditioner and a bottle of the beneficial bacteria which change the ammonia and nitrites. Should I still be doing frequent water changes to make sure the levels aren't too high? He is a pretty small fish, but maybe the frequent water changes are still necessary for a few weeks?

The ph is 7.3 if I remember correctly, I should be able to test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels on Monday I think.

Should medication be used as a last resort once it seems like parasites are definitely the issue, or should it be used "just in case"?

Also, his situation has changed a bit. I left the food in his tank overnight, and this morning I woke up in time to see him eat the last of it. Later today, his poop had changed to the same colour as his food, although it seemed a bit thick. Thought it may have have looked like an air bubble in one of them.

Should I watch him for a few more days to see if his symptoms keep changing?

It's a 30L, it wasn't cycled yet. It came with water conditioner and a bottle of the beneficial bacteria which change the ammonia and nitrites. Should I still be doing frequent water changes to make sure the levels aren't too high? He is a pretty small fish, but maybe the frequent water changes are still necessary for a few weeks?

The ph is 7.3 if I remember correctly, I should be able to test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels on Monday I think.

Should medication be used as a last resort once it seems like parasites are definitely the issue, or should it be used "just in case"?

Also, his situation has changed a bit. I left the food in his tank overnight, and this morning I woke up in time to see him eat the last of it. Later today, his poop had changed to the same colour as his food, although it seemed a bit thick. Thought it may have have looked like an air bubble in one of them.

Should I watch him for a few more days to see if his symptoms keep changing?

You will need to do a water change... If you haven't done one already I would suggest 50% since this wasn't cycled. Then do you tests. You may need to do 50% every day till your ammonia is below 5ppm nitrite as low as you can get it. If your lucky enough to have nitrate already below 40ppm.
And 23l is really really small for a goldfish. One should be in 30 gallon minimum 50 gallons suggested.

Ok, I'll do the water change today and get it checked tomorrow. I know he'll definitely need a bigger tank once he's grown a bit, but should this tank last him at least a while? I'd heard 30 gallons for a full grown common goldfish, but that only 20 gallons was needed for a fancy goldfish. Have I been misled here?
(But he will without a doubt be upgraded from the 30L tank, I'd never try to keep him in there forever. I'll just need some time to save up money for a larger tank like that. Tanks are pretty expensive, and uni doesn't leave much extra cash around)

Also, update on his condition:
He no longer floats upwards when at rest or goes belly-up at the surface. Now, when 'resting' he'll slowly sink to the bottom nearly vertical with his head down and butt up. His swimming is still fairly uncontrolled, and sometimes he does a loop. Still doesn't really have an appetite, although his poo looks normal now. Would that hint towards or away from him having parasites?

Also, I had forgotten to mention something, and I was wondering if it might contribute to his uncontrolled swimming. His tail fin is deformed, the fins go almost directly out to sides, more like a whale tail rather than how most are. I figured it might make him swim slower, but is it possible that could contribute to erratic swimming?

Look into swim bladder disorder.

Could be a number of things, who said parasites? Good first choice given the faeces.
Er, grow out tanks are fine until they become overwhelmed, no issues with that short term but it'll just mean extra water changes/maintenance on your part.
Perfectly possible.

I'd vote parasites too.

Can we get a picture of the goldfish, some fancies are also naturally poor swimmers

Prazipro is not that great of a choice for just "internal parasites"
This could be a number of different things, all of which are stubborn and different ways to kill them.
It could also just be a bacterial infection.
I recommend getting some metronidazole rather than prazipro, as the later is more for outward worms and parasites, like anchor worms. Metro is useful for a lot of internal gut parasites and bacteria.

Sad news, I got home from work and buying medicine yesterday and he was gone :( I knew it was a pretty slim chance he would live since I got him when he was already sick, but I'm still pretty sad.

But I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, it was really useful and I'm incredibly grateful you all took the time to help me :)

Sad news, I got home from work and buying medicine yesterday and he was gone :( I knew it was a pretty slim chance he would live since I got him when he was already sick, but I'm still pretty sad.

But I'd like to thank everyone for their advice, it was really useful and I'm incredibly grateful you all took the time to help me :)

No problem! Sorry about his passing :(

On sorta the bright side you have medication on hand for next time if this happens again:)

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom