New guppies sluggish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought two guppies and a Turquoise Rainbow yesterday and put them in my 5 gallon quarantine tank. It has the smallest sponge filter available and a 50 wt. Aqueon Pro heater and a fake plant for cover--no substrate. I added Prime (had been running the filter with a bit of seeded media from one of my cycled tanks for 24 hours).

Acclimatized the fish for an hour (floating, and adding tank water slowly), then netted them out an hour later. Today the gups look a bit sunk in, and generally not healthy looking. Like they have not been fed enough, and nearly starved. I think the girl netted the wrong ones. Although, if there was a pathogen in the tank, I suppose a lot of them would come down with it anyway. I fed some Omega One flakes last night. The rainbow ate readily. The gups ate a bit--not much.

This morning I gave them the frozen and thawed spirulina brine shrimp mixed with blooworms, hoping to pique their appetites. Again, the rainbow ate, but one of the guppies stays at the top a lot, the other gup stays at the bottom a lot. I don't think the gups ate anything much at all. I am afraid for the rainbow being exposed to them, as he looks and acts healthy.

What can I do at this point? My water temp in there is 79. The half-black gup (I just looked) is not looking good at all). The yellow gup is halfway active, but nothing like a gup should be. I want to take the gups back tomorrow, depending on how they look but fear I'll just get more sick fish.

Okay, down to my question. Should I add aquarium salt to the quarantine tank? Or will that not work at this point? And should I get the rainbow out of there? (He was in a different tank at the store, of course) and put him in a community tank? I fear that if he's picked up something from the guppies, he'll infect another tank. Don't know what to do! Would appreciate advice!

It would be a good idea to separate them but I would not put the rainbow in the community tank until he has been quarantined. Are the guppies male or female? Do you have a plastic tub and an extra heater for the guppies? I would not add salt until you know more about what is making them sick. If a fish is stressed or scared it won't eat, but my experience with guppies is that they are little piggies. Have they started eating more? If they eat flakes keep trying that. I have a feeling that they are malnourished and worn out. Are they breathing heavy, have clamped fins or any skin spots? Maybe put more plants in so they feel more safe. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in. Do have photos?

Thanks for the reply, Sandy! I can't separate them, as I only have the one quarantine tank! And I don't want to put the rainbow in the community tank for fear he might be carrying something. So I'm kind of stuck. And no, I don't have an extra heater either.

One of the guppies died earlier today, and the other looks like it won't be much longer. The tail is a little ragged looking.

And yes, they were both breathing heavily, fins clamped, and now the remaining one is staying mostly at the top. I tried uploading photos here, but its not working. I hate leaving that guppy in there with the rainbow (feel like I'm serving him a death sentence) but have no other choice. I have a feeling the second guppy will be gone by tomorrow morning. Thank you for trying to help out.

Back
Top Bottom