New help with phosphate!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derksen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey folks new to this forum been keeping a 55 stocked with plants and plant loving fish I recently got a new light set up and have a d.i.y CO2 system, but now I have mad algae growth especially on my plants. I have tested for phosphate and I am sitting at a mad 5.0 ppm so I have been looking online for fixes and products to help me combat this and I have hit a wall now that I know that water changes will be seemingly useless due to the fact that my tap water is 2.0 ppm so I was hoping to ask out loud if any of you folks have any ideas how I can get my tank under control..

I have high phosphates and have had problems with algae, as well. Only thing I have tried that has helped is a seachem product called Phosguard. It’s small little beads that soak up the phosphates. You put them in a media bag and place it in your filter. Lasts about a month. Something to look into.

Sounds more like your new lights tbh as a thought. Ferts / CO2 are usually dosed in excess (ie will get a test reading) for planted tanks ime. Reducing light duration / intensity I’ve found helps.

I haven’t run diy CO2 but find with pressurised CO2 that good water flow helps. I now run a diffuser either side of tank.

Sounds more like your new lights tbh as a thought. Ferts / CO2 are usually dosed in excess (ie will get a test reading) for planted tanks ime. Reducing light duration / intensity I’ve found helps.

I haven’t run diy CO2 but find with pressurised CO2 that good water flow helps. I now run a diffuser either side of tank.
I have take my light time down to 8 hours and I have added more air flow I was planning at some point to move to CO2 tanks but they two defuser idea is great thanks alot.

I have high phosphates and have had problems with algae, as well. Only thing I have tried that has helped is a seachem product called Phosguard. It’s small little beads that soak up the phosphates. You put them in a media bag and place it in your filter. Lasts about a month. Something to look into.
Thanks alot! I have ordered some and I'll be trying them out asap. I will let you know how that works out.

So I I got my delivery in the mail and it's says not to use with phosphate buffers in the tank.. now I have some crushed coral in my canister filter to bring up the pH my fish like it at 7 but is the crushed coral perhaps adding extra phosphates to my tank?

Hi again. Good question. Unfortunately, I have no experience with crushed coral. Maybe someone else can chime in here on this.

Did a quick google search and got some info. Since crushed coral Is mostly used in salt water it does effect your phosphate levels.

“Unfortunately many types of rock (not live rock fortunately!) such as dead reef rock (base rock) and coral based rock/crushed coral used in saltwater aquariums can have high levels of precipitated phosphates and act as slow-release phosphate reservoirs. Phosphates contained in these usually slowly dissolve into the water over time.”

So I think that answers that. Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom