New member, And sick fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sponge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I have a 30 gallon tank that's been set up with fish in it for about a year now. At the moment I have x1 3"Red Leopard Sailfin Pleco, x3 lyretail mollies, x3 platys, x2 2" senegal bichir, and x1 fire red zebra danio. I also have a second 15 gallon tank set up for 7 months, with 5 african dwarf frogs, 1 male betta, and 3 otocinclus.

Just thought I'd introduce myself..

Anyways right now I'm having my first ever aquarium epidemic, 3 fish have died this week and ALL of my fish except the danio are showing sick symptoms as follows:

-bottom sitting
-not eating (they were pooping clear mucus)
-clamped fins

-Pleco is hanging out in weird places not his usually rock, and he is swimming to the top of the tank often slightly sticking his nose out. usually poops constantly but havent seen him poop for 3 days.

-and just today im noticing white cottony fungus on a few fish which im guessing has attacked them since they became weak with whatever sickness they had prior.

So I've been doing ALOT of research and the petstore agrees with me that it sounds like internal parasites, so im treating them with metronidazole and aquarium salt. So far I havent noticed much of a difference and its been two days, ive lost 3 fish so far.

I'm really worried and I love my fish Please and help or suggestions or similar experience stories would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO: is it safe to use an antifungal medication at the same time as the anti parasitic medication or will that be too hard on the fish with all the chemicals in the water?

Plecos can be sensitive to salt.

I have, in desperate situations long ago, used anti parasitics and antifungals together, but it is stressful for the fish.

The #1 most important rule of treating sick fish is providing the best water quality you can. What are the parameters (ammonia, nitrates, & nitrites)? What size tank?

my water is 0ammonia and 0 nitrates. im not sure the measurement of nitrites but the pet store told me my water was perfect

You should only have 0 nitrates if you have a heavily planted tank.

I would recommend that you get yourself an API master kit (liquid) so that you can do immediate readings in times of stress like this. The kit costs about $22. Do not get the strips. They are not accurate at all.

Take another sample to the lfs. Have them give you the exact numbers for your readings. You want ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings.

What is your water change schedule?

I have a 30 gallon tank ... x1 3"Red Leopard Sailfin Pleco, x3 lyretail mollies, x3 platys, x2 2" senegal bichir, and x1 fire red zebra danio.

Your tank is too small for the bichirs, which can reach 20 inches in length.

The sailfin pleco requires an 80 gallon tank.

You should consider rehoming these two species and picking something more suitable for your tank. Of course, you would have to wait until whatever illness you have is cleared up.

Ok Lynda, thanks for your advice I will buy a water test kit. I'm aware my tank is too small for the bichir and pleco, at the moment they are very small and I plan on setting up a 75 gallon in the winter. :)

My water change is about 20% every 4-5 days

The new tank will be too small for the bichirs, too...... they really need a huge tank!

No actually the 75 gallon will be perfect for now. I've had them for a year and they are 3" long (same as when I bought them) Senegal bichirs are smaller than the other kinds of bichir, and do not grow past 14" in captivity, + have a slow growth rate. When my fish get larger in the future I will get an appropriately sized tank

Back
Top Bottom