New Oscars....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burly31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, im new to this site so im not sure how to go about things. I have 2 oscars and one angellica cat in a 29 gallon tank. Yes i know this is small but they are babies and this only for about another 3 weeks until they go into my 55g at home and eventually into a monster aquarium when i settle in with my teahcing job. But anyway the 2 oscars started out being pretty lazy but are starting warm up to the tank but they still wont eat. The cat is energetic just like it was at the store. My temp is 78 ph 7.3, ntirates and ammonia are less than .25. The main problem is that oscars wont eat. I have feeder fish with them and offer them brine shrimp and bloodworms. We are going on 4 days with no eating. Any suggestions? Please and thank you

Welcome to AA!
I'm no Oscar expert, but right away I
can tell you that Ammonia should be at 0. Any levels of ammonia at all are toxic to fish. Perhaps that is stressing them out.

Nitrates should be 20 or below, Nitrites, also toxic to fish, should be at 0.
Did you cycle the tank?

If not, you are going to have to do large PWCs every two days or so, to keep those toxic Ammonia levels down. Unfortunately, cycling with fish can be very stressful for them, but don't worry, you will learn and move on. I think you will soon find out how helpful the members here at AA are and will learn a lot!

So remember, .25 Ammonia is actually considered high- you want it at zero, because again it is toxic to fish.

Good luck! :)

Thanks! I talked to the local pet store and what he said is that when i cleaned my tank i kick it back into a cycle. The water has cleared up the last few days. DO you think ammonia will keep them from eating?

Normally a water change will not 'kick back' a cycle. After fishless cycling, you should be doing about 30% water changes once a week, which includes gravel vacuuming. You should never change out 100% of the water because that changes the pH levels and such too rapidly and can cause the fish to go into shock. If you do not know about the Nitrogen Cycle it will be helpful for you to look it up on google.

See, cycling is all about growing good bacteria that will eat away all that toxic ammonia that is created by wish waste and decaying food.
When you start a cycle, Ammonia rises, then converts into Nitrites. Ammonia has now decreased and Nitrites have increased. Then Nitrites convert into Nitrates, which are safe under levels of 20.

A tank that has been cycled should have reading of 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 20 or under Nitrates. If at any time these levels are too high, a large water change will help bring them down.

The reason I can think of for why your fish are not eating is the fact that they are stressed. Stress comes from poor water quality, inadequate housing, or bullying tank mates. In your case I would assume it's the Ammonia or the cycle you might be going through, but they should really be eating by now.

A fish can usually go a little over a week without eating, though they normally wouldn't want to. Are there any visual signs of illness besides lack of apetite?

Also, what are your NitrIte readings?

Two oscars will feel quite crowded in a 55 gal, so jus a heads up that "eventually" really needs to be within about 1 year or so. I'm sure you knew that.

Do like a 60% pwc and see if they are eating after that. If they don't eat when the ammonia is 0, then there are other problems.

Also, watch out for white stringy poo. While stressed hexamita can take hold, then they will need to be treated. So be on the look out.

MANDY- I have been doing water changes right about 40%, id rather do too much than to little. My water is pretty cloudy, almost like it was just set-up. I spoke to my friend who said that i may have cleaned the gravel to much using the siphoning tube. He said that i removed the good bacteria, i didnt know that could happen with out scrubbing clean the gravel.

MATTROX- They are really skiddish around me. When i wake up i see them move around the tank like a normal oscar would. If i approach the tank to feed them they hide in the cave. Im very happy that they are getting along im just nervous becuase they wont eat.

This might sound like a stupid question but is pwcs water changes? sorry i dont know the abbreviations that well. Ive been told since my tank is cycling that i was doing too many which about 2 and sometimes 3 because i want my fish healthy. So should i keep doing 2?

Hello,
Did you cycle your tank beforehand? It doesn't sound like it, because vacuuming your gravel is a good thing- it removes fish waste and decaying food that will only turn into that toxic Ammonia if not removed.
If your tank has been cycled beforehand, it will have plenty of good bacteria stored in the filter media. So, vacuuming the gravel will not harm that.

It would be helpful for me to be able to help you better if you could test your water and let me know what the Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite readings are.

Well some good news the oscars are out of the cave about 50% of the time which is what i was expecting. However, only one will eat. The other follows it around but the blood worms will literally fall on his head and it just sits their. I will go tomorrow and get everything checked for my levels.

Thanks for the update, knowing your parameters will really help take the first step towards fixing your problem. At least one of your Oscars is now eating.

This might sound like a stupid question but is pwcs water changes? sorry i dont know the abbreviations that well. Ive been told since my tank is cycling that i was doing too many which about 2 and sometimes 3 because i want my fish healthy. So should i keep doing 2?

PWC = partial water change.

You really need to test the water ans check for ammonia and nitrite. If you detect either (the colour is darker than the smallest reading) then a 40% to 50% pwc is in order. I cycled a tank with fish by doing daily and twice daily pwcs when required. The amount of water you take out depends on your reading.

A 50% pwc reduces the conceptration by half. ie 0.5ppm will be 0.25ppm after. If your ammonia and nitrite levels are very high you might need to change water more often.

What are your readings before your pwc? I must have missed it somewhere.

I just got back from the store...Ph is 7.3 while the the nitrite and ammonia is just over 1. Its not quite the shade of 2 but its a little more green than the 1. He said that isnt really alot i can do aside from wait because my tank is cycling. I bought this junge brand ammonia remover to be safe and i figured it wont do any more harm. What is the next step aside from a 50% water change.

oscars are big eater, load of bio filter should help, power water change to bring the ammo down to 0ppm. u should be fine after.

i bough 3 oscars not so long ago, it took them 2+ week to get use to their new home.

I just got back from the store...I bought this junge brand ammonia remover to be safe and i figured it wont do any more harm.

I would hold off on the ammonia remover, if your tank is cycling and you add that now, the cycle will never complete. Sounds like your tank wasn't ready to consume the ammonia produced by the fish and food.

It may help things along to "seed" the bacteria in your tank with a filter pad or a cup of substrate from an established tank

Quote:
It may help things along to "seed" the bacteria in your tank with a filter pad or a cup of substrate from an established tank[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps your local pet store will give you some floss from thier filtration system, which will be loaded with bacteria. Place that floss in your filter to help seed your system more rapidly.

I have a 55g. New world cichlid tank, and my Oscar, Humphrey, is my pride and joy. Oscars do produce alot of bio load, so I hope you have decent filtration. I have a Fluval 305 and a F&S Bios 75 on my 55, and my water is sparkling clear. My fish are healthy and active. What type of filtration are you running on your tank now?

Another thing that may help. but consult with other people on here, would be to add carbon/zeolite to your filter bags. The zeolite will help with ammonia spikes, but I am not sure you should add it while the tank is cycling.

Good Luck,

Shawn

I was told by the guy at the pet store to use the ammonia remover. What do you mean it my tank wont cycle...You have me a little nervous now. i have two 20 gallon carbon filter pumps running right now. I have been told by alot of people to use extra filtration so i figured that would do the trick until i get the bigger tank. The guy at the pet store offered me a decent portion of his gravel and when i told him i would like some he started to back out of his offer. I told him i would pay him for it but he just kept saying ya well come in later and well take care of it....later never came.

I was told by the guy at the pet store to use the ammonia remover. What do you mean it my tank wont cycle...You have me a little nervous now. i have two 20 gallon carbon filter pumps running right now. I have been told by alot of people to use extra filtration so i figured that would do the trick until i get the bigger tank. The guy at the pet store offered me a decent portion of his gravel and when i told him i would like some he started to back out of his offer. I told him i would pay him for it but he just kept saying ya well come in later and well take care of it....later never came.

I would find a new pet store. In my opinion, a portion of the filter floss would be best.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle, and cycling a tank:

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

do some searches, there are a few ways to cycle a tank and addina a fish at a time is one of them.

A new aquarium is just a tank of water, you put fish in it and feed them, they poop and uneaten food adds ammonia to the tank. untill the benifical bacteria has built itself up ot a level that it can covert the ammonia and nitrites, those chemicals just build up in the water.

dont panic it will happen but it takes time and I think your fish will be ok,

and remember the LFS is there to make a living selling you fish stuff!!

If you got a friend with a tank that has been up for some time, ask for some of his filter media or a cup full of gravel to add to your tank, it will have the bacteria you need to consume the bad stuff

Back
Top Bottom