New Oto Catfish not eating??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovefish2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone ever had trouble with their oto not eating? The first few days after I brought him home, he was having a field day with the algae in my tank. I have noticed lately that he is just swimming around "looking for food" so I went and bought some algae wafers and the algae seaweed sheets from petco. When I dropped in the wafers, he ingnored them and my 3 mollie fry ate the whole thing. (very fat bellies on them afterward but I am wanting my oto to have the fat belly.) I then put some of the seaweed sheet in a veggie clip and left that in for a while..he never touched it. Then today, I bought a zuchini at the grocery store, brought it home and rinsed it, cut off a chunk and deskinned it. I put it in a bowl with water and microwaved it for about 1-2 minutes. I stuck it to a weighted piece of an artificial plant that I am not using and put it in..he sucked on it for a second and swam away. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try? I don't want him to starve but don't want to take him back to petco where I know they won't take care of him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ilovefish2 said:
Has anyone ever had trouble with their oto not eating? The first few days after I brought him home, he was having a field day with the algae in my tank. I have noticed lately that he is just swimming around "looking for food" so I went and bought some algae wafers and the algae seaweed sheets from petco. When I dropped in the wafers, he ingnored them and my 3 mollie fry ate the whole thing. (very fat bellies on them afterward but I am wanting my oto to have the fat belly.) I then put some of the seaweed sheet in a veggie clip and left that in for a while..he never touched it. Then today, I bought a zuchini at the grocery store, brought it home and rinsed it, cut off a chunk and deskinned it. I put it in a bowl with water and microwaved it for about 1-2 minutes. I stuck it to a weighted piece of an artificial plant that I am not using and put it in..he sucked on it for a second and swam away. Does anyone have any other ideas I can try? I don't want him to starve but don't want to take him back to petco where I know they won't take care of him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When my 6 don't eat I put them in a breeding trap with an algae wafer overnight.

Back
Top Bottom