new otos have ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
sigh...ich has shown up on all of 4 of my new otos. So,

1. can otos handle the high temp treatment? If so,
2. how fast can they handle a temp rise?

Unfortunately, this isn't uncommon with Ottos.

yes, they can handle the higher temperatures. I usually raise/lower at a rate of 1-2 degrees every 12 hours. I bump the heater up before work, then again in the evening.

PWC dont hurt so yeah. I always do one right before a temp change just to help. Good luck

lol...my mistake...they don't have ich!! yeay! they are all healthy and eating algae like pigs :)

several reasons:)

-I've never owned otos before and when I viewed them with a magnifying glass yesterday I saw that the white dots were part of their coloring, not raised.

-the oto I thought had it the worst was also very constipated and would sit still for hours at a time. When he finally passed everything and started moving around, I saw that all the little particles (which I mistook for ich) that had settled on him while stationary were shaken off.

-none of them are flashing or seem to be in distress. They are all eating happily and behaving normally as far as I can tell.

So hopefully I am right and they are all fine. The LFS said that these otos had been there for over a month so I hope I got good stock.

Back
Top Bottom