New Pleco, now not looking so great :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohiogirlkrista

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Folks,
I know if anyone can help me out here, it's probably one of you guys. We just bought a Pleco for our 55gallon tank. We traded in some of our Convict Chiclids for a good price on him. I was really excited about it. He's really a great looking fish. My biggest problem is that my 55 gallon tank is over crowded with fish. I try giving them away and no one seems to want any more convicts, thus taking them to the local pet store to trade for something else. OK so cutting to the chase as I have yet to ask my question. We were looking at him this evening and my husband noticed he looked lighter in color in some places. I said he was always like that, almost like a lighter color in places. My husband wasn't so sure... Then he swam across the tank and we noticed that his fins are looking really ragged. So I have checked all the levels in my tank and the only one that's a little high is the nitrate No2 is at 0.50 (which I kinda expected due to the amount of fish in this tank.) Temporarily we have moved him to my 25gal tank with 2 blue gouramis. I have one that is aggressive in that tank. Just wondering if you have any idea what could be causing this? Or if you think that it could be just the other fish picking on him. He's a gorgeous fish and I don't want to loose him. Any Help would be fantastic.

ohiogirlkrista said:
Hi Folks,
I know if anyone can help me out here, it's probably one of you guys. We just bought a Pleco for our 55gallon tank. We traded in some of our Convict Chiclids for a good price on him. I was really excited about it. He's really a great looking fish. My biggest problem is that my 55 gallon tank is over crowded with fish. I try giving them away and no one seems to want any more convicts, thus taking them to the local pet store to trade for something else. OK so cutting to the chase as I have yet to ask my question. We were looking at him this evening and my husband noticed he looked lighter in color in some places. I said he was always like that, almost like a lighter color in places. My husband wasn't so sure... Then he swam across the tank and we noticed that his fins are looking really ragged. So I have checked all the levels in my tank and the only one that's a little high is the nitrate No2 is at 0.50 (which I kinda expected due to the amount of fish in this tank.) Temporarily we have moved him to my 25gal tank with 2 blue gouramis. I have one that is aggressive in that tank. Just wondering if you have any idea what could be causing this? Or if you think that it could be just the other fish picking on him. He's a gorgeous fish and I don't want to loose him. Any Help would be fantastic.

Has the tank completely cycled? How overstocked is this tank? It can definitely contribute to your ammonia levels (I hope that's what no2 is lol-I think so though.)

ohiogirlkrista said:
Hi Folks,

What are ur ammonia and nitrite readings?

A .50 reading for NO2 (nitrite) is toxic. What are your ammonia levels & nitrate levels? The poor water conditions are likely causing the issues with your new pleco. You will need to address your stocking issues & start doing daily tests & water changes until you can resolve your situation. Rather than trading the convicts to your lfs for other fish, perhaps they would consider trading them for some live plants or fish chemicals (such as Prime)? Just a thought! Please dont hesitate to ask questions!

Change out half the water (at least) to get that nitrite number lower. As well, removing solid detritus (fecal matter) from the tank and filter before it has a chance to break down will also help.

I will do a water change tonight. I will also vacuum the gravel. I have moved him in with my Blue Goramis in a 25 gallon but I'm not sure it's large enough. I have the 2 Gouramis and him in that tank. As for how over crowded my 55 Gallon tank is I have 25 Convict Chiclids all about 2-3 inches and I have one big girl she is probably 5 inches.

So I did a 50% water change last night. I waited until this morning to test the water.

PH 7.6,
Amonia 0,
NO2 0,
NO3 40ppm.

I also have someone coming for some of my fish tomorrow :) Does anyone have suggestions as to what to place in the tank so the Pleco has a hiding spot?

Thanks again

a little bit of drainpipe dug in to the pebbles should do i can imagine the convicts have attacked him very unsocial

a little bit of drainpipe dug in to the pebbles should do i can imagine the convicts have attacked him very unsocial

I'm not sure what you mean by a bit of drainpipe dug into the pebbles. Sorry but you will have to explain further :huh:

img_1822318_0_755741c0b2b9e0b57539110f3b672e62.jpg

Back
Top Bottom