New puffer going UP, down, up, DOWN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. So 2 days ago I lost a spotted green puffer (brackish). I went out today and purchased a new one. Immedietly after putting him in the tank, he went into the corner and started going up and down, very fast. I've seen fish do this, but not like he's doing. He is using all his might (and shivering his whole body) and coming out of the water. Then using all his might (and shivering his whole body), and slamming into the bottom. He'll do this for about 30 seconds, then swim around. Then he'll just go back and do it again. haha. Is something wrong or is he just not the brightest fish in the world? One thing I'm wondering, is that I don't have a background on the tank. Is it possible that he is seeing his reflection and is trying to fight it?

As far as levels, temperature, salt, etc, it is all normal or non existent. It's a 20 gallon tank with just him (green spotted puffer), and one columbian catfish (black-fin shark). Let me know if any of you have seen this behavior before. :) Thanks

- flipz / brent

How did you acclimate him and for how long? And what exactly are the water parameters?

Just wondering, is this the same tank that you treated the other puffer in? I can't remember if you QTed him.

Yes, it is the same tank. I didn't QT him because I'm in college so I move around a lot. I only have enough room (and money) for the one tank. But I've done two 33% water changes since the last treatment, and put in a new carbon filter which ran for about 6 hours before he was put in. The water was clear (instead of yellow which the binox turns it) so I assumed it was free and clear of all treatment chemicals.

I got him from the LFS. One thing I noticed is the girl was kind of in a rush, and they always squirt some stress coat stuff into the bag, and she didn't do that I don't think. Could that be causing him to act like this? I've only had him in there for about 2 hours. He did it like crazy for the first 30 minutes. Then calmed down and has randomly kept doing it since.

Params:
Temp: 78
pH: 7.6
Gravity: 1.005
Nitrite: 0
Ammonio: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm
Hard water but both the columbian and puffer seem to like it

Thanks as always.

- brent

Edit: From my post it doesn't sound like I acclimated him to the tank. I first let his bag float for about 30 mins to adjust the temp, then added some tank water to the bag, did that a few times over the next 30 mins, and then finally put him in the tank. He seemed very active even in the bag. Couldn't wait to get out.

I wonder if the acclimation wasn't long and slow enough; if the water parameters are very different from lfs to your tank, a 30 min acclimation to water parameters is not enough. Understand I'm only guessing.

My other thought is did the keep the puffer in brackish conditions, is your tank brackish, and whats the difference in SG? Thats another really important water parameter to consider.

Well he was in FW at the LFS, however they said they do keep salt in all their tanks, I don't know the SG though. So unfortunatly that might be the problem. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I did find this though on Pufferpunk's site (or at least one that she's a mod of) : http://puffer.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=brack&action=display&num=1080409816

It seems pretty normal for puffers to chase their "reflection". Even in large, heavily decorated tanks. If he doesn't stop in the next day or so I'll try re-arranging and see if it helps.

Brent

Yes, it can be a sign of boredom, but it can also be a sign of stress. Is it's belly white? Is it eating? Maybe do a 50% water change to bring the SG down a bit. When a LFS says they put salt in all their tanks, it usually means a tbsp of aquarium salt (not marine salt, like you should be using)/10g. For a SG of 1.005, it takes a cup/r5g. Quite a huge difference to fish, wouldn't you say. I think he's uncomfortable.

It's my website BTW. I do have a silent partner though (Joel, a 17 year old kid from Malysia) that started it. He's in charge of all the mechanics, but is slowly turning that part over to me too.

yeah my puffers do that 2. their trying to get past their reflection :) i needa try that sometime looks like fun 8P ne1 else for a game for get past the unpassable you?

I assumed it was free and clear of all treatment chemicals
That's fine. However, I was concerned with whatever it was that infected your last puffer is still in the tank. Although, that may be a problem later and not the current concern.

Yea, it's a thought but he's acting in a much different fasion than that other puffer did. That one was never hyper. He is still doing well today, hyper as ever. Much more brilliant colors than the other. I moved things around and added some more stuff to the tank. He still goes up and down but not as crazy as he did, and not nearly as much. He is swimming all around the tank now. Seems to completely ignore the shark though which the other one was always trying to swim with her. haha.

-brent

Back
Top Bottom