New Tank Betta Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VanessaM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a brand new Fluval Spec 2.6 gallon tank with 3 system filter and I have gravel and artificial plants. I bought my Betta and did a lot of research before purchasing him to see what he will need. I've had him for 5 days and he is eating and active even flared at his own refelction. His colors are vibrant. Today I noticed a few white spots on his head and it looks like sprinkles of salt which sounds like Ick. Everything in my tank is new (rinsed everything in hot water before putting it in) and I already did a 25% water change ( added more water conditoner) after the 3rd day I had my fish. How come there is Ick in my tank? what should I do to get rid of the ick in my tank? I also have three ghost shrimp who gets along just fine with my Betta.

Yeah, it sounds like ich.

I'm sure it's from cross contaminating a cup or net or something from the store you got him from. It's not uncommon to get random diseases from pet stores..

Anyways, best thing to do now is turn the heater up to like 86*f or so and a lot of water changes.

Goodluck! I've gotten columnaris 2x from my local petsmart and ended up getting it into my main tank because of forgetting to dip my net. Atleast Ich is easier to treat!

+1 - i bought a female who I knew had ich when I purchased her, I could see a few dots on her. Put her in a QT 2.5g tank, put the heat to 86F, added Aq salt the 1st day. On the 2nd day she was lethargic & covered in spots, the 3rd day the spots were almost gone & she was swimming around again, by the 4th day the spots were gone. While treating i did an every other day water change, i did 100% since it was a QT tank with minimal decos & bare bottomed, I only added aq salt the 1st day. I left the heat up for another week then added her to my community tank.

Shell. How much salt did you use in the qt?

About 1tsp/gallon is good. But make sure you don't use the salt for more than 10 days, and when you do w/c's only replace the amount of salt you removed.

Shell. How much salt did you use in the qt?

For 5g its 1 tablespoon per the box & as the other poster stated don't use for too long . . . from what I've read 14 days is OK. Make sure to pre dissolve before adding to the tank & only add more when you've done a water change for the amount of water replaced, salt doesn't dissipate.

Back
Top Bottom