New Tank Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cochran694

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a new tank yesterday, and I aimed to add 2 platys and eventually a male betta as the petshop keeper said they made good companions.
Anways, I went and bought the fish (they were all very well taken care of and healthy when I chose them). 2 platys. I got the tank cleaned and set up that day (which is what I'm assuming is the root of my problems) and put a filter in it and got it working. I let the fish float in their bag in there for half an hour so the temp equalized. Altogether, the tank had been active for less than an hour before I added the fish. They did well for about 4 hours, then I went into my room to check on them, and one of them was dead. Since this morning, the live one had been swimming at the top of the tank probably due to low oxygen levels, so I just 20 minutes ago added a bubbler and the fish now swims at the bottom. I also have changed half the water and added a liquid stabilizer.

I have not tested the nitrite level or ammonia level, but I plan on taking a water sample back to the petshop tomorrow to get it tested.

If the fish livens up and seems better, then I will be purchasing another platy and a betta.
Please, if you have any helpful comments or think anything I mentioned is incorrect or the correct answer to the issue, reply and help me out! I hate to see my fish in distress.

Well first of all you need to cycle a tank. Since you already have fish you will have to do a fish-in cycle which consists of almost daily testing/Water changes. There are lot's of articles on how to do it. You did use a dechlorinator when adding the water right? If not that would kill the fish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom