new tank with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deezer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yikes...i am somewhat new to this hobby, so I am doing the best I can. But I started a new tank (36 gallon) on the day after Christmas. All of the fish from the previous tank (10 gallon) were healthy (2 long fin tetras, 1 dwarf guarami, 1 corydora, 2 dwarf platy). Added 4 Mollys. Found out that 1 had ich. So I did my research, gradually raised the temp to 82-83 degrees and added extra salt. 2 mollys died and more outbreaks on other fish. so I lowered the temp back down to about 78-79, and am doing copper sulfate treatment (coppersafe by Mardel). Removed the carbon filter. I wasn't sure about that. everything I read said to remove carbon so not to filter out the treatment. package said to leave it in place if over 5 days old. Now the tank looks cloudy. I know it hasn't been that long, but both tetras look rotten, maybe a little fin is gone (?). What should I do? the tank hasn't cycled and I don't want to lose any more fish. How long should the treatment with copper take? should I put a new filter in?

Welcome to AA! First do a large water change. Don't add any more salt. Some of your fish, the cories, do not like salt. The heat method requires you get the temp OVER 86 F. At 82-83 F the ich is increasing but not dieing off. Get the temp up to 87F and add an airstone or lower the water level.

As the tank is cycling you will need to do extra water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite down. Match the temp of the tank water and add dechlorinator.

I would stop dosing the coppersafe, many people I know have lost fish because of coppersafe.

how much of a water change do you think is necessary? will the high temp be enough to get rid of the rest of the ich?

thanks. i've already started to raise the temp a little. and will do a water change tomorrow morning. i'll let u know how it goes.

just wanted to give a great big thanks to jagz. the ich is gone, and i have found a fantastic fish dealer in town who has healthy fish and quarentines for 14 days before selling. no more ich for me (hopefully). :lol:

Glad to hear the fish are doing better. Keep the temps up for 2 more weeks to make sure every last bit of ich is gone.

Back
Top Bottom