New to the hobby, need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobwt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I have a female guppy currently pregnant and has been ready to give birth for about 2 weeks, she's had 2 batches of fry before. I got home from work to find her behind the filter hardly moving, she breathes every few seconds.

Any ideas on treating if possible?

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 43
She might have just been hiding before giving birth ?
She looks ready all squared off. Most livebearers give birth at dusk or dawn so tonight could be the night...

Your Guppy

Okay I have a female guppy currently pregnant and has been ready to give birth for about 2 weeks, she's had 2 batches of fry before. I got home from work to find her behind the filter hardly moving, she breathes every few seconds.

Any ideas on treating if possible?

Hello Jac...

Keep the tank water especially clean. Large, weekly water changes are best. When you change the water, make the new water a little bit warmer than what's in the tank. I've found if my fish are feeling a little under the weather, a water change with some warmer water will energize them.

B

She died about an hour after I posted this I was changing 25% when I noticed she stopped breathing, not sure the problem I had 3 Amano shrimp and a bamboo shrimp die the night before. I've tested my water both days and it's been reading fine: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5ppm Nitrate, 7.2 Ph

Is this the same tank with the female betta? If so she could be showing aggression to the other fish/shrimp in the tank which is causing them stress

Is this the same tank with the female betta? If so she could be showing aggression to the other fish/shrimp in the tank which is causing them stress

I do have female betta in the tank and shrimp but I haven't seen any aggression between the guppy and betta, I didn't think of that being a possibility though I will observe them for a while and see if I notice anything.

Back
Top Bottom