New to the site and need help ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goldfish_noob said:
I wish I would've known this prior but u live and u learn. I just hope no more casualties anymore if my tank wipes then I will just cycle it properly fish less before I add any fish and this time I will do it right but I hope I can keep these healthy and alive

Yeah, it sucks. Most of us learn the hard way. But it sounds like you'll be able to save your fish, so that's good. Just remember, water changes are good, but don't go scrubbing every thing down all the time. Most of the bad stuff is in the water, and the good stuff on surfaces and in the filter. :)

See the misses always complained about the stuff on surface and filter so she would make me scrub everything down but oh we'll at least I know now

It's okay to wipe stuff off, just don't clean everything all at once! I think there is such a thing as a "too clean" aquarium.

Don't feel to bad, I used to over clean my tank too!! I would remove everything and wash it all in the kitchen sink..... OOPS!!!

Lainey183 said:
Don't feel to bad, I used to over clean my tank too!! I would remove everything and wash it all in the kitchen sink..... OOPS!!!

Lol yea me the bathtub was my crime scene with the tank.

So in preparation I picked up a 55 gallon tank by aqueon I think and paid 62.00 after joining petco reward member card which is better then 200+. Now we need to pick up the stuff filter deco etc... For it but it's the first step towards separating the fish. So I'm happy about that.

Sounds like you on the right track now! :) But there is another issue other than the tank cycling again. What has happened to your fish is called stunting. It is a common misconception that fish grow to the size of the tank then stop. Over time it actually deforms them and they can die prematurely. (goldfish can live 10-20 years!) If you have had them for some time some of these fish would already be stunted. I still believe the best thing for them would be for you to rehome them to a pond or your LFS and purchase fish more suitable for you tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
Sounds like you on the right track now! :) But there is another issue other than the tank cycling again. What has happened to your fish is called stunting. It is a common misconception that fish grow to the size of the tank then stop. Over time it actually deforms them and they can die prematurely. (goldfish can live 10-20 years!) If you have had them for some time some of these fish would already be stunted. I still believe the best thing for them would be for you to rehome them to a pond or your LFS and purchase fish more suitable for you tank.

If it was that easy I brought that option up to my wife and she quickly said no because she has had them for 6 years now. When she first got them they were from a carnival! She didn't expect to live this long but they have. So I hate to say it cuz its cruel but they will have to stay with us instead of growing to their full potential :( so I will warn her blabout being deformed at some point and dying off maybe she will change her mind.

Goldfish_noob said:
If it was that easy I brought that option up to my wife and she quickly said no because she has had them for 6 years now. When she first got them they were from a carnival! She didn't expect to live this long but they have. So I hate to say it cuz its cruel but they will have to stay with us instead of growing to their full potential :( so I will warn her blabout being deformed at some point and dying off maybe she will change her mind.

I know just how you feel. My daughter brought home two comets from a school carnival. Who the heck thinks live animals are a party favor? We bought a ten gallon kit for them. They've been in there four years. My husband thinks it's ridiculous to want a bigger tank for a couple of fish that probably cost 15 cents each :(

Goldfish_noob said:

I understand :)

Sisserydoo said:
I know just how you feel. My daughter brought home two comets from a school carnival. Who the heck thinks live animals are a party favor? We bought a ten gallon kit for them. They've been in there four years. My husband thinks it's ridiculous to want a bigger tank for a couple of fish that probably cost 15 cents each :(

It's happened to us all. When I was I kid my sisters and I use to buy goldfish from the local markets and stick them in a bowl. They use to last 6 months and we thought that was good! :/

Tell her if she really cares she will do the right thing. Maybe you could even just put in a pond... That would solve everything!

Hobgob said:
Tell her if she really cares she will do the right thing. Maybe you could even just put in a pond... That would solve everything!

That's what I'm hoping to do. I've got some free pond liner coming my way soon :)

No way you are so lucky! My neighbor has a huge pond. She made a waterfall for it and everything! It is just amazing. The bottom pond is like 10 ft in diameter and the top is probably 5 or so. I am sure you will make an awesome if not better.

Hobgob said:

If we had space for a pond I would go that route but live in an apartment and I don't think she would go for making the shower the pond lol and I honestly don't know anyone with a pond.

Idk what she will decide I just know that we have things to buy for this new tank and have to figure out how I'm gonna do that quick enough to start cycling it and then get the fish in there

Goldfish_noob said:
If we had space for a pond I would go that route but live in an apartment and I don't think she would go for making the shower the pond lol and I honestly don't know anyone with a pond.

Idk what she will decide I just know that we have things to buy for this new tank and have to figure out how I'm gonna do that quick enough to start cycling it and then get the fish in there

When you buy the new filer, etc ask the store if they have some nasty old filter media you can have. :) best way to jump start a cycle. If their tanks are diseased don't though.

We have a mom and pop fish store that around us they can probably give me better media then a chain store plus I've been in their store before and fish seem pretty healthy that's where we got our little guys from.

Goldfish_noob said:
We have a mom and pop fish store that around us they can probably give me better media then a chain store plus I've been in their store before and fish seem pretty healthy that's where we got our little guys from.

Worth asking. :) even just a cupful of the gravel is better than nothing.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but when you get your filter try and get one rated at 10x the tanks volume an hour or more. The more the better when it comes to goldfish.

Mumma.of.two said:
Worth asking. :) even just a cupful of the gravel is better than nothing.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but when you get your filter try and get one rated at 10x the tanks volume an hour or more. The more the better when it comes to goldfish.

Any good ones u can recommend ?

That would be an interesting shower. My one friends father trains horses for movies and shows. He had a couple living in his water tub where the horses drank from. They lived for three years. I don't know how old they were when he got them though.
Get maybe an aqua clear 70. The gph on my 30 is 160(us)gph. That would not be enough and my aqua clear(ac) 110 has a flow rate of 500gph.

Hobgob said:
That would be an interesting shower. My one friends father trains horses for movies and shows. He had a couple living in his water tub where the horses drank from. They lived for three years. I don't know how old they were when he got them though.
Get maybe an aqua clear 70. The gph on my 30 is 160(us)gph. That would not be enough and my aqua clear(ac) 110 has a flow rate of 500gph.

Wow that's crazy 3 years in a hot tub lol.

I wonder if I can find an ac 70 used from a healthy tank to help cycling faster.

I just remembered! If your in the US there is a company call angelsplus that's sells active sponges. I think there is a link under section 16 or 17 (?) in the link I posted on the first page.

I'd go for a canister on the new tank if you have the $. I have one each on my three biggest tanks. I will never go back to HOBs.

Back
Top Bottom