New Von Rio Tetra sick. Columnaris? Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhagwood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got up this morning and found a sick Von Rio Tetra in the QT.

Purchased 3 from lfs on Sunday 9/22 and drip acclimated into QT. We had them on order and they were delivered to lfs on Friday 9/20. One was acting odd when we released them into the QT, flashing, frantically shooting around the sides of the tank, wriggling into the substrate, so i was suspicious right off the bat.

This morning, gills and mouth area are extremely swollen and irritated looking, he's up near the surface a lot, and has a white stringy looking mass hanging from under his mouth. In the pic (not the best quality, sorry) it almost looks like he's been cut under his mouth, but in person it looks more like a growth. I cannt see any other spots or masses on the rest of this body. and the other 2 do not show any symptoms.

Tank is a 10 Gallon with rock substrate used as QT that's been running a couple of months after a fishless cycle. Has been used a QT for three schools of tetras over the past month - all are doing great and healthy in DT now. Paramters are Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates 5, pH 6.2. Did a weekly 25% PWC yesterday.

From what I've read online this morning, I can't figure out if its bacterial, fungal or perhaps a parasite? And is it contagious? I'm moving him to a hospital tank right now. Any help and expertise is greatly appreciated!!

83425-albums13277-picture62064.jpg

83425-albums13277-picture62161.html

83425-albums13277-picture62163.html

Back
Top Bottom