new with tank issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazin.sunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay i am new to this site and would appreciate any input i could get regarding an issue with ich.

I have a 70 gallon tank. My first big problem was i started cycling my tank with feeder goldfish. Which i think brough in the ich or was just stressed out and started having ich. So currently i am treating the tank with Ich cure. I have the temprature up to 80 degrees right now and have no fish or plants in it, i ended up taking them out and replacing the gravel.

So if anyone could advise me on about how long i should wait to add fish i would appreciate it.

:thanks:

Welcome Aboard!

Ick has a month long cycle from what I've found in my research. I'd suggest sticking with the heat raised and 86 degrees seems to be the defacto temp range to kill ick, so consider raising it even more. I'd suggest not adding any fish until you're tank is fully cycled. Plants like Anacharis will help seed the tank (just toss them in from LFS) and feed the cycle IMO/E.

Here's a link to help you thru the cycling process:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Mr. Limpet said:
Welcome Aboard!

Ick has a month long cycle from what I've found in my research. I'd suggest sticking with the heat raised and 86 degrees seems to be the defacto temp range to kill ick, so consider raising it even more. I'd suggest not adding any fish until you're tank is fully cycled. Plants like Anacharis will help seed the tank (just toss them in from LFS) and feed the cycle IMO/E.

Here's a link to help you thru the cycling process:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

+1
Keep the temp up for two to three weeks, you could even got as high as 90 and try to avoid using any treatments with copper as it can seap into the seems of the tank and harm fish when you do decide to put them in again. You can put some aquarium salt in the tank while there are no fish and that combined with the heat will keep the ich from reproducing and without a host they die off.
Or
You could break down the tank. Wash everything with a mild bleach water mix.. rinse everything thoroughly and start the cycle in close to the same time frame and have peace of mind that there's no parasites or fungus
But if you kept the same fish and don't treat them as well, you're just going to reintroduce the problem to the tank

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom