The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trybal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:ermm::(Hi all this site looks great!! I got a 20 gallon tank last week. I picked up two types of fish, 3 cherry barbs, and 3 hi-fin platys. So here's my questions/concerns. I know my tank is still cycling, but yesterday and today I have noticed that the cherry barbs are staying near the top of the tank and the hi-fin platys have their dorsal fin flat and they seem to lay at the bottom of the tank and then all of a sudden get a quick boost of energy. Are my fish stressed because of the cycling? or what. I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :ermm::(

have you check your water for amonia, nitrites and nitrates? fish trying to get more air is not a good sign.

My guess is your ammonia is high. Buy an API test kit. That way you can check your levels daily while your tank cycles. Keep your ammonia under .25 ppm. I would do a 50% water change right away since your fish are acting stressed. Make sure you are using a water conditioner too. Most people on here like Prime.

Thanks! I purchased a API Master Test kit last night and it will be here probably on Monday or Tuesday. I also noticed that two of my hi-fin platys are getting white spots on them, so today i picked up some Ick medication to put in the tank. Last night i also purchased a air pump and airblock for the bottom of the tank. All the fish seem to be doing a little better, maybe because of more oxygen being introduced into the water? I called my LFS and they said that the fish maybe really stressed because my tank could be in the cycling stage where there is Ammonia and Nitrates are present so its really had on the fish, could this be?

If I were you, I would treat for the white spot/ick, test your water daily, and do all the necessary water changes to keep your parameters down.

Good luck :)

Yup ill echo what's been said so far and add this. Have you done a water change? You need to be doing them every day if Not every other day. To keep the ammonia down.

I am treating got Ick, and did a small water change tonight. Doing water changes will set back the cycling process correct? By how long roughly?

just to give you an idea it took me 2+ months to finish the cycle in my tank and i did it with fish in it was a lot of work

I second that...It took me 6 weeks and 5 days doing my 55g fish-in cycle, with daily testing and 50-75% daily water changes...

Font be afraid to do frequent and bigger water changes. The good bacteria you are trying to grow really doesn't live in the water column itself, it lives mostly in your filter also substrate, plants, and decor.

Back
Top Bottom