Newbie: Guppy Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havoc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. We've had a 2' tank for a while now, and thought it might be fun to try breeding guppies. So far, we've got 2male and 2female in a much smaller tank (4litres- not sure in gallons). What do we need to do simply to ensure that the fry don't get eaten, or so that they at least survive. We don't want to show them or anything, just for fun. Also, how easily can the females get pregnant, how long will it take them to drop their fry, should we seperate the males from the females, or the females from the fry, and when should we do this? And how long will it take for the babies to be big enought for them to be put into out regular tank and not be picked on? Thanks,
Katy and Liv

Many questions, and I only know a few answers. :)

1) No need to separate males from females. They're just fine.

2) You *could* leave your fry to just live with the adults, but you will probably end up with less than were born. Get a maternity cage of some sort. The one I've had forever is just a net with a frame that you put the female in while she's pregnant and take out when she births. I hate that one becuase it falls apart, but it was cheap. Another one you could get is a plastic "cage" of sorts that works the same way, except the fry can actually get away from the female and be safe. Check your fish store and ask them. I would get some type of small plant that would allow the fry to hide. I have a plastic one that looks like a chunk of grass.

3) Females can drop fry generally about every 20 days (right? I think I read that somewhere...20 or 28 I think).

4) If you are able, separate the female and fry as soon as you see them. Otherwise they might get eaten. Even better would be to put the female in a maternity net before she births and then take her out as soon as she does.

5) A few weeks should be ok before you put the fry in with the rest. The principle I go on is would they fit in the mouth of another of the fish. That one works ok. :)

I hope my answers are good enough!

-j

Not sure if it will help but we just posted a guppy profile in the Profiles area. It has some links to other sources of info as well.

Thanks for the replys hisc1ay.

I agree with everything hisc1ay said. Adding be careful which brand of plastic breeder you buy. Make sure it has enough grating to let in aerated water(PennPlax) makes a good one. I had one that I bought a while back that has just a couple of dozen small holes in it for water to exchange through. It killed on of my pregnant females. Boy did I feel guilty. Planning a bigger family and killed the momma. Keep in mind, even though generally guppies do bare every three weeks, you may need to keep the momma in confinement for a week or so before she will be ready to birth. I also don't like net breeders. They provide lots of water exchange, but little protection for the fry. My other concern is a 4 liter tank is 1 gallon. Not big enough for 4 guppies to say nothing about offspring.

P.S.
Older females tend to take longer to gestate and they don't get as fat as young females. Young females look like they are going to pop, they get so bulged.

You usually can see the fry's eyes through the abdomen about 4 days prior to birthing, In the dark area just ahead of her cloaca. Also, if you watch closely, the cloaca will start to protrude very slightly a few hours before birth.

OK, ran my mouth enough. Hope this helps.

Hello! I'm new to breeding fish. I juz bought some guppy yesterday.. 2 females.. i guess one of them have already drop the fry today.. a total of 13. But i am not sure how to take care of the fry. I have separated the fry into another container. Is it ok to do that?
I think the second female is also pregnant. so what can i do? If i isolate the female into another container, is it ok?
Sorry for asking so many questions...

2) You *could* leave your fry to just live with the adults, but you will probably end up with less than were born. Get a maternity cage of some sort. The one I've had forever is just a net with a frame that you put the female in while she's pregnant and take out when she births. I hate that one becuase it falls apart, but it was cheap. Another one you could get is a plastic "cage" of sorts that works the same way, except the fry can actually get away from the female and be safe. Check your fish store and ask them. I would get some type of small plant that would allow the fry to hide. I have a plastic one that looks like a chunk of grass.

3) Females can drop fry generally about every 20 days (right? I think I read that somewhere...20 or 28 I think).

4) If you are able, separate the female and fry as soon as you see them. Otherwise they might get eaten. Even better would be to put the female in a maternity net before she births and then take her out as soon as she does.

5) A few weeks should be ok before you put the fry in with the rest. The principle I go on is would they fit in the mouth of another of the fish. That one works ok.

I hope my answers are good enough!

I believe hisclay gave a very good answer above to your questions. He's an expert guppy breeder, so give him a listen, you'll do well!

I especially like the idea of giving the babies a grassy plant (real or plastic) to hide in, that advice is golden for most any type of fry!

Hisclay, any advice on feeding the babies? I'm outta my league here!

Haha! I have never classified myself as an "expert guppy breeder." I've had a few litters in my day, but not *that* many. :) Thanks for the ego boost though!

As far as feeding...baby brine shrimp is probably the most recommended food for guppy fry. However, I haven't used it ever (I'm lazy). I just make the flakes I feed the rest of the *really* small so they can eat them. One of the cute things about the babies is they sometimes get a piece of flake too big, but they carry it around anyway.

And yes, I didn't pay attention to the size of your tank first time through. I agree with angelstiger that your tank is too small. If you really want to keep guppies, you should get at least a 5.5 gallon (~18 litres).

-j

Haha! I have never classified myself as an "expert guppy breeder." I've had a few litters in my day, but not *that* many. Thanks for the ego boost though!

Well I thought you knew the most around here anyway, so to me, you're an expert!

Pregnant Guppy?

hi there! i would like u guys to help me check whether the guppy is pregnant. 1 has lay fry 2 days ago, so i'm wondering whether the other female is pregnant.. thx! :lol:

hmm i attached my guppy photo.. but i dunno why it has not appear after i submit.. but i have put it under my photo gallery:)

Guppies in a mixed sex tank, are "always" pregnant. They usually drop fry about every 21 to 28 days, depending on water conditions, the age of the guppy, how and what you feed her, etc. The pic is kind of blurry, but she looks like she is not real fat. Usually they get quite bulged before they release. They can be quite stubborn to birth sometimes. I walk by the tank and remind them what happens to sturgeon. They don't seem to listen. J/K hahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom