Newbie with sick Betta needs help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janragan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and will post pictures and info of my 55 gal tank soon. Tonight I am in need of help with my male Betta.
We have had him about 18 months or so and until a few weeks ago no problems at all. He is a very social boy, comes and plays in the front corner anytime we talk to him which is pretty often. He is actually spoiled rotten...
He is in a 5 gal tank with heater and filter, no other fish. Temp is at 80 degrees, amonia is at 0 and PH is at 8. I added a half dose of PH Down tonight to try and start getting that a little closer to 7 - 7.5. I feed Tetramin flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, and green peas.
About 6 or 8 weeks ago I noticed he had a white streak starting at his body and going all the way up his top fin. It was not very big and he didn't seem to be in any distress so I just watched him closely. He rocked along just fine for about a month then I noticed he was not interested in socializing and hiding a good bit. I started a 7 day Melafix routine, then did a 50% water change. His white streak has gotten worse and he is now hiding most of the time or laying around on the bottom of the tank in the back corner. Prior to this he came to his "corner" at the front of the tank to play anytime I visited him. I started "Maracyn 2" 3 days ago and still no improvement. He did eat a few frozen blood worms yesterday and nibbled flake food tonight He does not have any trouble swimming... he is just totally not himself and I know he is suffering which breaks my heart. His top fin is really turning a grey/white color so is getting much worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
janragan

Attachments

• betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 63
  • betta1.jpg
    betta1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 68
How often have you done PWC on the tank?

Also, why are you messing with the PH? The high PH won't hurt the betta.

PH down and other chemicals will only add to your problems with the fish.

Not so good at a time when he is already ill.

I normally do at least 50% change every 2 weeks. I checked water parameters and this was the only one that seemed like it might be out of whack a bit so added 6 drops to his 5 gal tank. Normal dose is 2 drops per gallon... I am at a loss as to what to do for him. The meds don't seem to be helping. I hate giving meds because sometimes it seems to me they do more harm than good. That is why I strated with the Melafix first before using antibiotics. I believe he has fin rot but don't know why or what else to do for him. He seems to be getting worse since I started the Maracyn 2. Is there a better med I can get for this? Thanks!

Hmm, first off, definately stop using the ph down. It will only stress him more and is 100% unneccissary.

It's hard to say what is really wrong with him. Could be fungal or bacterial. Fish tb can cause strange lessions on the outside (as well as inside, but we can't see those) of fish.

Is he the only fish in the tank?

What are your nitrate readings?

Back
Top Bottom