Nipping? Ich? Or Otherwise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 fish showing white marks. My blue Aceii hasn't been eating going on 3 weeks now, but is active for most part, he developed white marks on his face and was hiding in a cave(normally never in a cave, same day baby fry starting showing up). This happened 1 day after my convicts had 100-150ish babies in the corner. Which made my tank highly aggressive. The mother is an original to the tank, I added 1 male convict and another 1-female convict around same time my Aceii stopped eating. But the white marks did not appear until just 4 days ago. I since removed all the baby fry, ones that were in tank were eaten by the other fish(seems she gave up on her mother duties once I removed the fry. Did this mostly because of seeing my Aceii). Then same day I seen my tank come back to life and less hostile, looked normal the next day to. Then today my Bumblebee in the video link, is all messed up... He was fine just 2 days ago, I didn't see him to eat yesterday. Then saw him like you do in the video once I got home from work.
I don't know what it is. If its a sickness or from aggressive nipping?
Would appreciate any help, thank you. I have seen the male convict bully off my fish but nothing to hard, the male convict is still juvenile as well. My female convict has never been aggressive, but she was when she was protecting her fry. But my bumblee wasn't messed up when I removed the fry.

Water parameters: Trace amounts or nothing of ammonia/nitrite. Then 10-15ish ppm nitrate. PH at a constant 7.8. Its a 60gallon tank with 6 cichlids of different lakes, but I hadn't had an issue in over a year now, till now.

Link to video of tank below.

ke...

There's no tank problem that can't be solved by simply performing a larger than normal water change. By removing most of the old water and replacing it with pure water treated with a dechlorinator every few days and doing a good job of vacuuming the bottom material, you'll remove any toxins that have dissolved in the water.

Raising the heat in the tank to just 80 degrees will help too. If you have a parasite problem, you have a dirty tank. Heat will shorten the life span of the parasite and by adding a teaspoon or two of standard aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of replacement water, you can retard their growth too. This amount of salt is minimal and won't harm your fish or plants.

The biggest mistake a tank keeper can make is believing that if there are no traces of ammonia or nitrite and the nitrate level is low and there's just a few fish in there, that the tank water is clean. Water becomes sterile in just a few days due to constant filtration, evaporation and oxidation. Water that stays in the tank too long is unable to hold oxygen and loses trace elements that help keep the chemistry steady.

Change half or more of the water weekly and you'll see healthier fish and plants.

B

I do a 20gallon water change every 2 weeks. Not exactly sure what you're implying to me. In fact I did a 10gallon extra water change when I removed the fry from the tank. Then 2 days later my bumblebee like in the video, which is today and now he has already passed away. Happened so fast from when I noticed him banged up. Just 2-3hours dead.

If it were due to disease would it have happened this fast? I can't really watch my fish tank all day to monitor aggression(i am around it for hours on end, just not always). I'm hoping to identify if it is some form of sickness or nipping so that I may handle the problem fast. I see no signs of aggression in my tank at the moment.

Is it just hard to identify from video? Anything I can do to help identify if its a sickness faster?

ke...

There's no tank problem that can't be solved by simply performing a larger than normal water change. By removing most of the old water and replacing it with pure water treated with a dechlorinator every few days and doing a good job of vacuuming the bottom material, you'll remove any toxins that have dissolved in the water.

Raising the heat in the tank to just 80 degrees will help too. If you have a parasite problem, you have a dirty tank. Heat will shorten the life span of the parasite and by adding a teaspoon or two of standard aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of replacement water, you can retard their growth too. This amount of salt is minimal and won't harm your fish or plants.

The biggest mistake a tank keeper can make is believing that if there are no traces of ammonia or nitrite and the nitrate level is low and there's just a few fish in there, that the tank water is clean. Water becomes sterile in just a few days due to constant filtration, evaporation and oxidation. Water that stays in the tank too long is unable to hold oxygen and loses trace elements that help keep the chemistry steady.

Change half or more of the water weekly and you'll see healthier fish and plants.

B

So thats it? Just do water changes, even though I do water changes weekly? Almost feel like you copy pasted me an answer and didn't even view my video of the fish in question.
I am not sure if its nipping or sickness, why would you recommend something when nothing is said of how my fish looks?

Is it that hard to identify by video or what? Or do people really just start treating a tank blindly?

Back
Top Bottom