Nipping or tail rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squealor

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can you tell the difference? Some of my tetras are showing bits missing out of their tails (one on his dorsal fin). Other than that, they seem fine... How can I tell if it's just nipping that caused it or if I need to treat for tail rot? Also, do you treat for ragged tails if it's from nipping to keep it clean and heal it better?

One of the reasons why I was concerned about it is that they were bought 5 days ago and were fine when I introduced them to the tank. So, I was worried that my Serpae tetras were terrorizing them (only the red eyes seem to be effected) or that they are getting sick.

I probably should have said they were new in the original post. Sorry! :oops:

I think you are right I would think the serpaes are to blame. Give them a few days to settle down. Just keep monitoring the situation all will probably be ok.

Serpaes can be quite nippy, you could try turning off the aquarium lights and leave a light on as a backdrop and see if you can see any agression. I've heard that gouramis can be aggressive too, but that is hearsay on my part.

Back
Top Bottom