Nitrites are 50+...I'm a beginner help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I set up a tank and started cycling on the 12th of december. I stated with tiger barbs they thrived then I got my bp everything was going well and now the nitrites have soared. The lps told me not to touch the water top let it "do its own thing" as stated by employee. The ammonia is .25 nitrates 40 maybe a little under. Ph is 8.0 I feel like I need to do a water change but I wanted to get opinions. I'm still new and learning any advice would be great. I'm worried about my blood parrot!

Fish-in cycle--- LOTS of water changes. .25 Ammonia is .25 too much. Nitrite needs to be zero as well. Nitrate is a bit less of an issue (though 50 is pretty high).

Fish gills get burned by ammonia. Nitrites also weaken them and can cause blood issues and other sicknesses.

As per usual, lfs have given you bum advice. Change out 50% of the water now and in a few hours do it again.

50% water changes will halve the amount of ammonia and nitrates in the water. So if you have a reading of 40nitrates, do a 50% change will bring it down to 20. Same principle for ammonia.

As above poster has said the ammonia in the water will burn the fish gills :/

Grrr....those silly lfs people, why do they say those things???
Water changes can only help! All the beneficial bacteria are in the filter and on surfaces, not in the water. You're only get rid of bad stuff by doing water changes.

Sisserydoo said:
Grrr....those silly lfs people, why do they say those things???
Water changes can only help! All the beneficial bacteria are in the filter and on surfaces, not in the water. You're only get rid of bad stuff by doing water changes.

LFS is in it for the money. If the fish lived then you wouldn't go back to buy more.

Ok thank you for the help. First thing in the morning I'm going to do a pwc and pray its not to late. I literally had employees arguing with each other on if I should or shouldn't do a pwc. So my brain is mush. I also learned that they told me the wrong temps for my fish as well it was way to low so I corrected that as well. They also said that when my nitrites go down I'll get an ammonia spike and probably none of the fish will make it lol I know I shouldn't even have to ask but that isn't true either is it?

kades said:
Ok thank you for the help. First thing in the morning I'm going to do a pwc and pray its not to late. I literally had employees arguing with each other on if I should or shouldn't do a pwc. So my brain is mush. I also learned that they told me the wrong temps for my fish as well it was way to low so I corrected that as well. They also said that when my nitrites go down I'll get an ammonia spike and probably none of the fish will make it lol I know I shouldn't even have to ask but that isn't true either is it?

Sounds like they've got their nitrogen cycle backwards! Fish give off ammonia that bacteria turns to nitrite then more bacteria turn it to nitrate which is then removed with weekly water changes. There should be a link in the article I linked for you that explains it all. Big frequent water changes will be needed from now on until the cycle completes. Do you own a test kit?

kades said:

The nitrite thing is not true.

Yes there is thank you for the advice! definitely going to do pwc!

Back
Top Bottom