nitrofurazone, furazolidone and malachite green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I can't find any info on nitrofurazone or furazolidone in regards to treating with malachite green. I was wondering if anyone here knows if it's okay to treat at the same time or not. AP makes something called furan-2 which is supposed to treat a wide variety of gram-positve and gram-negative bacterial diseases. But I think my one fish has ich as well. I have 3 new Mollies in a QT tank.

Thanks in advance.

Well one of my new silver mollies that I bought just started hiding and sitting near the bottom of the tank, barely moving for about a week.....no physical signs....so I'm not sure. She died a few days ago. A black molly that I bought seemed to get a cotton fungas on his tail, and wasn't doing too well. It was very hard to diagnose....even with all of the reading I did, and pictures I looked at, nothing looked similar. I had to get a wide range antibiotic for them.

The black molly also looked like it could have had ich, so I have Quick Cure, and was going to use that on them. I've had very good luck with Quick Cure in the past with new fish I have bought.

I might use the anitiotic for 4 days (as suggested) and then 5 days of Quick Cure, then a few days more in the QT tank before reintroducing them into my main tanks.

All my levels are fine, Ammonia and Nitrate =0 Nitrates about 20-40ppm.
PH about 7.4. Temp 80

Thanks Devilishturtles, I did read that site already.......on a couple of my fish it looks like they have small cotton balls on their fins, and according to that site they have "Cotton Fin Fungas", but on my silver molly that died, she didn't have any of the fungas so I had to assume that it was another disease that killed her and that I should find a wide spectrum med that would potentially treat more than one disease. But also to treat the "Cotton Fin Fungus, I needed something containing methylene blue. So I got Furan-2. I hate to over-med fish but they weren't showing any signs that could lead to a sure diagnoses of one disease.

Back
Top Bottom