No ich survivors, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I have read and read about the lifecycle of ich. I had a couple of fish, who got ich, and did not make it. This is a semi-new aquarium. I tossed out the live plants that were in the tank. Can I just take everything out and scrub it down? Will that kill the ich? Or does my completely empty tank need treated? I have used Tetra's ich remover, plus increased the temperature to 87F. I would like to try again, but I am wondering if I have to wait or not. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

What do you mean by 'semi-new' aquarium? Is it cycled? Im not sure what is in the Tetra ich meds by i would do i good vaccumming & 100% wc if you no longer have fish and keep the temp at 87 for atleast 2 wks before considering getting new fish. You will have to dose ammonia daily to 4ppm to keep your bacteria alive & happy in the meantime until the ich is gone and you are able to get new fish. Your other option would be to clean out everything, disinfect with bleach (wipe everything down), rinse well with warm water and start all over again with a fishless cycle. If your tank wasnt cycled to begin with, i would start from scratch.

Yes, my aquarium was cycled. I have not had any fish in the tank since Friday. I have not seen any white spots on the sides of the tank, as I have read in others' posts. I don't mind starting all over. I was just wondering if I could bleach or salt soak everything down, and not have to worry about the ich still living in the tank.

If you don't have any fish in the tank, crank the temp right up to 90 for two weeks and add some salt, that should take care of it. While your doing that, get some pure ammonia to add to the tank to keep the nitrifying bacteria alive and kicking.

Yes, my aquarium was cycled. I have not had any fish in the tank since Friday. I have not seen any white spots on the sides of the tank, as I have read in others' posts. I don't mind starting all over. I was just wondering if I could bleach or salt soak everything down, and not have to worry about the ich still living in the tank.

Since your tank is cycled, the easiest thing would be to do a 100% wc/vaccumm (make sure you use water condit), crank up the heat for minimum of 2 wks and keep dosing ammonia daily (4ppm) to keep your bacteria alive & fed. Nothing else needed! In 2 weeks, you can start restocking!

Back
Top Bottom