Not a fish but my apple snail broke his shell please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaphillips438

Aquarium Advice Regular
Florida full time, Kentucky in the summer
I took him out of the adult fish tank he was in and put him in the tank with my fry (same water parameters) but they are also picking at him so I put him in a very clean 2 gallon flower vase for the time being I put some vegetables in there that I normally feed for him to eat but I don't know if I just have to wait for it to naturally heal or if there is anything else I can do for him

I tried to get a picture but failed

I want to start by saying I don't have an answer for you. I apologize. But, I'm looking to learn - how did his shell break? I have one also and want to make sure my tank is appropriate for her.

In what way is the shell broken?

Clean through the shell, the whole body could be exposed, or a chunk off at the part where he comes out?

People including myself, have repaired a broken shell piece by boiling an egg shell to sanitize it, using Gel super glue containing cyanoacrylate (active ingredient).

Take the snail and dry area around the broken part on the snail, doesn't have to be perfectly dry. Gel works if wet.

You will be super gel gluing the eggshell to the snail shell. Pick or make a piece to fit the place to repair with enough over lap to be able to use the glue.

You might want to get a few toothpics too to help get the glue in exactly the right spots on the shell. Do all you can to avoid getting the glue on the body of the snail.

Hold pieces gently together and wait for the glue to set per glue directions.

In what way is the shell broken?

Clean through the shell, the whole body could be exposed, or a chunk off at the part where he comes out?

People including myself, have repaired a broken shell piece by boiling an egg shell to sanitize it, using Gel super glue containing cyanoacrylate (active ingredient).

Take the snail and dry area around the broken part on the snail, doesn't have to be perfectly dry. Gel works if wet.

You will be super gel gluing the eggshell to the snail shell. Pick or make a piece to fit the place to repair with enough over lap to be able to use the glue.

You might want to get a few toothpics too to help get the glue in exactly the right spots on the shell. Do all you can to avoid getting the glue on the body of the snail.

Hold pieces gently together and wait for the glue to set per glue directions.
It is just part of his shell by the opening which is I assume why he isn't wanting to come out, I got him to eat some spinach earlier which he loves but after he ate he went in his shell and hasn't came out1590018622928.jpg1590018641387.jpg

Did the one with the broken shell fall out onto the floor, or maybe fell and got stuck somewhere and it cracked off.

That cracked off part will not be a big issue. You might try to trim or file away the sharp part. It could be the pointy part is sharp /poking the snail so it goes back into the shell. Or it might have a slight cut from it already and just needs a little time to heal.

Make sure the water parameters are excellent and this will help the snail be able to recover as quickly as possible.

Did the one with the broken shell fall out onto the floor, or maybe fell and got stuck somewhere and it cracked off.

That cracked off part will not be a big issue. You might try to trim or file away the sharp part. It could be the pointy part is sharp /poking the snail so it goes back into the shell. Or it might have a slight cut from it already and just needs a little time to heal.

Make sure the water parameters are excellent and this will help the snail be able to recover as quickly as possible.
He didn't fall on the ground or anything I sometimes notice that they will be on the glass and just randomly drop to the bottom of the tank but I didn't think that it would hurt them, my water parameters are really good I'm doing my water changes, I do see that part of it is a bit sharp how do you suggest fixing that?

My first thought might be a fingernail file with a medium to medium coarse grit.

Just run it over the shell as delicately as possible on the pointed corner. Even maybe a more fine grit file for the straight side part on the other side of the edge.

Also if his shell is a bit thin which seems it might be if he cracked it. Start keeping his diet with plenty of minerals - greens are good like you are using spinach, and if you have clean, non - weed and feed treated, sprayed or fertilized dandelions, their greens are good for them as well.

Some foods are made for creatures with shells, a reasonable priced and easy to find option is Crab cuisine by Hikari.

Also you can use Cuttlebone, plain with no additives found usually with the bird supplies. It floats for awhile, put the hard shell side up and the soft part which they can munch on down.

My first thought might be a fingernail file with a medium to medium coarse grit.

Just run it over the shell as delicately as possible on the pointed corner. Even maybe a more fine grit file for the straight side part on the other side of the edge.

Also if his shell is a bit thin which seems it might be if he cracked it. Start keeping his diet with plenty of minerals - greens are good like you are using spinach, and if you have clean, non - weed and feed treated, sprayed or fertilized dandelions, their greens are good for them as well.

Some foods are made for creatures with shells, a reasonable priced and easy to find option is Crab cuisine by Hikari.

Also you can use Cuttlebone, plain with no additives found usually with the bird supplies. It floats for awhile, put the hard shell side up and the soft part which they can munch on down.
Thank you so much I will look into those

Back
Top Bottom