Not ich, only on clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Little white spots...covering my clown loaches. I'm suspecting that it's not ich; the temp is up to 90 and no other species in the tank have anything similar (kribs, weather and kuhli loaches). Any thoughts on what this could be, or how to treat it? I don't think I've lost any loaches to this yet, even though it's gone on for over a week now. they're behaving normally, but just covered in white spots.

It may still be ich. When I first got loaches in my 125 gal they got ich. They were the only fish to show signs of the ich. It lasted 6 weeks! I thought for sure I was doing something wrong but it was just one of those things. Make sure with the temp that high that you have extra aeration in the water.

Can you post a pic? Do they look like they are covered in salt grains?

If it looks like salt grains in is ich. The other fish might just be fighting it better right now. Since you already have the temp high I would suggest trying the salt and heat treatment for ich. Slowly add 1 tsp per gallon of NaCl dissolved in change water. Do this over the course of a few hours. keep the treatment up for at least 1 week following the last sign of any visible ich in the tank. Keep up with gravel vacuuming and water changes as well, replacing the amount of salt lost in a water change only.

My only recommendation would be to ensure that your tempurature is truely 90 degrees. Do you have a drop in thermometer or the like?

What are you currently using to meansure the temp.?

I've got two thermometers in the tank, both reading 90 at separate spots. Both thermometers are mercury tubes. I've battled ich before, but never seen anything like this. It looks so advanced, and it doesn't help that two of the three clown loaches are very reclusive; I have to hunt for them, and worry that they're dead.

Clown loaches can be particularily sensitive to ich. It can hit them hard. Keep the temps up, make sure there is extra aeration in the water.

Back
Top Bottom