Not sure if ammonia level is really bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feesh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have a 10 gal tank. A Molly (recent introduction) had babies (surprise!) and after 2 1/2 weeks of being completely healthy, they have started dying off. We checked the ammonia level and got the highest level reading. I did a 40-50% change and then a day later another 20% because readings were still high. I put a bit of bacteria that is supposed to help balance ammonia in as well. It is still reading crazy-high. Is there any possibility that my continuing high readings are false? Is there something else I should be doing?

how often do you do water changes, exact parameters, and stocking?

A molly should be in a 30+ gallon tank, some get up to 5 inches. They also create a tonne of waste like most live bearers. To put this in perspective we will say you had 160ppm of ammonia (VERY POISINOUS TO FISH). if you do a 50% water change then 160/2 =80... you still have 80 ppm ammonia which is still LETHAL. TBH if you have ammonia you probably never cycled. the best thing to do is 75% water changes daily with prime obviously and getting a new tank ASAP or rehoming the fish.

Your Fish

Hello,
I have a 10 gal tank. A Molly (recent introduction) had babies (surprise!) and after 2 1/2 weeks of being completely healthy, they have started dying off. We checked the ammonia level and got the highest level reading. I did a 40-50% change and then a day later another 20% because readings were still high. I put a bit of bacteria that is supposed to help balance ammonia in as well. It is still reading crazy-high. Is there any possibility that my continuing high readings are false? Is there something else I should be doing?

Hello fee...

Mollies are the most sensitive of the livebearing fish to slight changes in the chemistry of their water and small tanks are no place for this fish species, because the water in small tank tends to change suddenly. So, it's not surprising the fish didn't do well in this environment.

A 10 gallon tank requires a 50 percent water change at least a couple of times a week, to remove dissolved wastes from the tank water. The tank is too small for most fish species.

If you're going to have success in the water keeping hobby, you need to get a much larger tank, say 30 gallons. Save the very small tanks for much later, when you have more experience with tank management.

B

You can add Prime to help detoxify remaining Ammonia, but keep doing large water changes Daily till your Ammonia reads Zero.

But you'll probably still be doing water changes to keep the Ammonia at a safe level. For now, if you can't buy a bigger tank, look at getting a Rubbermaid bin and set it up as a temporary pond for the mollies. You can add a filter and heater to a 30 to 50 gallon bin.

Or buy a used tank on craigslist. If you think you're going to keep breeding mollies, try to get a 55 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can add Prime to help detoxify remaining Ammonia, but keep doing large water changes Daily till your Ammonia reads Zero.

But you'll probably still be doing water changes to keep the Ammonia at a safe level. For now, if you can't buy a bigger tank, look at getting a Rubbermaid bin and set it up as a temporary pond for the mollies. You can add a filter and heater to a 30 to 50 gallon bin.

Or buy a used tank on craigslist. If you think you're going to keep breeding mollies, try to get a 55 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

excellent advice here ^^

Hello,

If you test the tap water used for water changes then this should give you a base line. Hopefully it is normally near 0 so you can also check the test is working correctly.

I agree with BB as well that I don't find live bearers the most hardy of a species.

Back
Top Bottom