Not sure if I'm looking at finrot, a bruise, Ich (or something else)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Y'all,
First, thanks for having me, I'm new here! I joined because I'm a little worried about my goldfish, who has developed a white lump on his tail fin. Here's the lowdown for any help would be greatly appreciated.

Description:
White spot on the tail, with some bloodshot-ness around it. Looks slightly fuzzy. Some other red streaking in the tail fin, assumed to be down to recent ammonia spike.

HXN0CiY.jpg

TxNbKW1.jpg

HdahZpG.jpg

Date: started 25/8
Type: Goldfish
Ammonia: 0.25 mg/l but has been as high as 1-2 mg/l recently (more below)
Nitrates: 0 mg/l
Nitrites: 0 mg/l
Temp: 25 degC (I think, ordered a proper thermometer)
pH: 7.5 - 8 (albeit on the same out of date test strips as the nitrates)
Tank size: 15 Gal
Filtration: Fluval U3 - 155 Gal/h
Water changes: 30% daily for last 6 days, prev 30% weekly
Number of fish: 1 + 3 nerite snails
How long I've had: Goldfish for 3 years, snails 3 weeks
Food: Aquarian Goldfish flakes and the occassional pea

Recent changes:
Added rocks plants and snails 3 weeks ago, also upgraded the filter. Upgraded from a Ciano cf40 to Fluval U3. Ran both filters concurrently for 1 week, then added a bit of the Ciano sponge to the U3 (it's still in there). Ammonia spiked to 1-2mg/L and tank bloomed. Have been performing daily 30% water changes since.

Other:
Had fin-rot 6-8 weeks ago, cleared up with Interpet anit-fungus and fin rot solution and regular water changes.

I'm hoping that it's finrot and that it will clean up as the water continues to improve, but im scared that it's Ich or something that would straight up kill my little guy (he's called Squid).

Any advice woudl be amazing. :thanks:

Last edited:
Apologies if this has double posted. I thought I'd posted it, but couldn't then find it again.

Back
Top Bottom