Not sure that its a health issue...(scissortail rasbora)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monsterz3ro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all-

Quick question- I have 9 scissortail rasboras, in a 56 gallon column with live plants and decent light. All water parameters are good (checked yesterday). Additionally in the tank are two tangerine angelfish, and two turquoise rainbowfish. The two rainbowfish are still small in size- only barely bigger than the largest rasbora.

Just added the two rainbowfish, in addition to some clusters of jungle vail plants, mid-last-week. Everyone is getting along swimmingly (ha).

Just giving the background information, because i'm stumped- about 20 minutes ago, I was reading and looked up and noticed a few of the rasboras really packed in together, schooling. Seems normal, except (despite my wishes, and what should typically be their behavior) they practically never school. They will swim generally in the same area, but not often in the same direction, and rarely if ever in a close "school". I went over to look, and noticed 3 (and sometimes a 4th) scissortail chasing around one of them. This one is bigger (maybe 30% bigger than all the rest of the scissortails), and always has been. Never been a thing. Not sure whats going on, but the "schooling" is actually 3 or 4 of the other ones, chasing around the big one, and it looks like they're trying to nip the big one's underside. He's not uh...making a bowel...and as far as I know, if it was a she and she was laying eggs, it would be at the bottom of the tank, not swimming around sprinkling them everywhere...not sure what they're doing, but its new behavior. I understand there are new plants and a couple new fishes, but even given those recent additions, the behavior does not seem explainable as adjusting to new tankmates.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this something to do with mating? Something to do with sickness? I've searched a lot on google but can't find anything about this behavior, just the general "peaceful community fish" blah blah.

If anyone knows anything about these guys, or if this behavior is more generalized and someone can explain its meaning, I'd hugely appreciate it. I'll be sitting here watching for any responses, so feel free as soon as you see this =).

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom