Not sure what happened! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am doing unsure what happened. I acquired new fish about 2 weeks ago. This fish here is an older fish. It looks like he is bleeding. Maybe he got in a fight? Maybe he is ill? After removing a dead fish this afternoon, I noticed this fish (Bono) looking like he was having a seizure. As of now he is the only male and there are 2 females left in the tank. Bono is in a bowl. Can I put him back in the tank? Or did something happen. To him?
I had a snail die, and I think he died IN the tank. But I wasn't sure if he was dead or alive so I moved him to the hospital yesterday. Below will be a photo of Bono and what my snail, Gary, looked like when I removed him from the main. So if anyone can tell me what happened or what to do, that would be great.
I did a PWC to clean out the tank.1485559200692.jpg1485559212224.jpg

Hi, i'm assuming Bono is the one who looks like he is bleeding? I can't really tell much from the photo, but it looks as though he has red streaks in his tail? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Red streaks are caused by poor water quality; high ammonia or nitrates in the water. This would also explain the death of another fish and your snail. (Though i know nothing about snails, i would imagine they're more fragile) Lots of regular water changes will help him recover.
Also, you should invest in a small quarantine tank with a filter and heater if needed, which can be found on bootsale apps super easily. Put all new fish in this tank before adding them to your main one, it will help avoid disease in your main tank. I'd suggest getting fish from a local breeder instead of pet stores too.
Good luck with your fish. :)

Hi, i'm assuming Bono is the one who looks like he is bleeding? I can't really tell much from the photo, but it looks as though he has red streaks in his tail? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Red streaks are caused by poor water quality; high ammonia or nitrates in the water. This would also explain the death of another fish and your snail. (Though i know nothing about snails, i would imagine they're more fragile) Lots of regular water changes will help him recover.
Also, you should invest in a small quarantine tank with a filter and heater if needed, which can be found on bootsale apps super easily. Put all new fish in this tank before adding them to your main one, it will help avoid disease in your main tank. I'd suggest getting fish from a local breeder instead of pet stores too.
Good luck with your fish. :)
Yes the one with streaks is Bono. He ended up dying. Someone told me to do less frequent, larger changes. Well going on 2 weeks no PWC made that water toxic! So I did an immediate PWC and siphoned the gravel. It was filthy from my new aquires!

Oh no! Who told you that? If there's sickness in the tank frequent water changes are best. Small and frequent. Large water changes will shock the fish and make the situation worse. I don't know how big your tank is, but i'd say maybe at least 2 PWC per week when a sickness is present, and once a week when the tank is doing okay.
I'm very sorry about Bono. How are the rest of your fish doing?

Oh no! Who told you that? If there's sickness in the tank frequent water changes are best. Small and frequent. Large water changes will shock the fish and make the situation worse. I don't know how big your tank is, but i'd say maybe at least 2 PWC per week when a sickness is present, and once a week when the tank is doing okay.
I'm very sorry about Bono. How are the rest of your fish doing?
Everyone else seems fine. Will be doing my weekly PWC on Sunday. I do 25's each week with a good siphon. Someone BB something told me to do less but larger because of toxicity and water safety. Blah blah blah. I knew better. I don't know why I listened. So I lost 2 fish and an almost 3 year old snail (my most favorite tank creature.)

Everyone else seems fine. Will be doing my weekly PWC on Sunday. I do 25's each week with a good siphon. Someone BB something told me to do less but larger because of toxicity and water safety. Blah blah blah. I knew better. I don't know why I listened. So I lost 2 fish and an almost 3 year old snail (my most favorite tank creature.)

Honestly, always go with your gut instinct. You will almost always have a better idea of what the illness is and (if you've read up on it) how to treat it. Purely bc you're familiar with the fish and their normal, healthy behaviour. For example, a few weeks ago one of my favourite mollies, Jasmine, was acting slightly off. Nothing majorly concerning; she was still eating, pooping, swimming around ensuring my male molly, Fen, was by her side. I couldn't even place what was wrong with her. About a week ago, I woke up to see she wasn't swimming. Poked her with the net, and she wasn't able to swim, she would swim in circles and then just summersault and lose control. Her death is still a mystery with no symptoms, but after spending time with them every day, we're able to pick up on the smallest things.

Honestly, always go with your gut instinct. You will almost always have a better idea of what the illness is and (if you've read up on it) how to treat it. Purely bc you're familiar with the fish and their normal, healthy behaviour. For example, a few weeks ago one of my favourite mollies, Jasmine, was acting slightly off. Nothing majorly concerning; she was still eating, pooping, swimming around ensuring my male molly, Fen, was by her side. I couldn't even place what was wrong with her. About a week ago, I woke up to see she wasn't swimming. Poked her with the net, and she wasn't able to swim, she would swim in circles and then just summersault and lose control. Her death is still a mystery with no symptoms, but after spending time with them every day, we're able to pick up on the smallest things.
Awe that's so sad! Poor fishie. Yeah I am pretty sure it was ammonia poisoning. I'm pretty sure my snail, Gary, died IN the tank after acting funny for over a week. Then at the same time it had been coming up on 2 weeks no PWC. I remember setting up my tank originally and had mollies. Well they were acting funny and I talked to the store guy who knew all about fish. He tried to talk me in to a heater to get them out of a "funk" and to wait to do a PWC for 2 weeks for bb. No. They were being poisoned by ammonia. I lost one or two due to that before I could to a PWC. I knew what was happening. This guy was a moron.

Awe that's so sad! Poor fishie. Yeah I am pretty sure it was ammonia poisoning. I'm pretty sure my snail, Gary, died IN the tank after acting funny for over a week. Then at the same time it had been coming up on 2 weeks no PWC. I remember setting up my tank originally and had mollies. Well they were acting funny and I talked to the store guy who knew all about fish. He tried to talk me in to a heater to get them out of a "funk" and to wait to do a PWC for 2 weeks for bb. No. They were being poisoned by ammonia. I lost one or two due to that before I could to a PWC. I knew what was happening. This guy was a moron.

Wait, you had mollies in a tank without a heater? Mollies are tropical fish, they need a heater. I mean, you could have them without a heater for the tank, but you have to keep the room they're in super warm for them. That's what I'm having to do, since I'm cycling a new tank for them but I only have one heater. That and adding warm water to the tank every so often. I should really just buy another heater, haha.

Wait, you had mollies in a tank without a heater? Mollies are tropical fish, they need a heater. I mean, you could have them without a heater for the tank, but you have to keep the room they're in super warm for them. That's what I'm having to do, since I'm cycling a new tank for them but I only have one heater. That and adding warm water to the tank every so often. I should really just buy another heater, haha.
I did. I didn't know I needed one. But my room kept the tank at a steady 74-76° which I read was fine. My guppies though I have the heater on at 80°. They do pretty fine.

Ah, I see. Well, I wish you luck with your other fish. Hope everything goes okay from now on!

Back
Top Bottom