Not sure what is wrong with this oto.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it kind of looks like he is pineconing but he can't stay balanced. He has to fight to stay upright, like it's a swim bladder issue- but he isn't bloated. He probably isn't going to make it but I would like to figure out what it is and if it is contagious. I have salt and heat going right now

:( I am working on a pic right now, but he isn't bloated. His scales are kind of sticking out and he does have the clamped fins but no bloating. Do they neccessarily have to have all the symptoms?

Well in the picture it's hard to tell the scales- I can't get my photobucket to work right now so i can;t get the vid on of him

Well I don't think hes going to make it; he is fighting to stay grounded and he keeps floating to the surface :'(

Edit Ok now I am freaking out because they all look like that... god I hope I am just paranoid again

Attachments

• DSCF9308.jpg
    DSCF9308.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 55
Not as a criticism (I've been on a streak for misread posts lol..) but I thought otos were scaleless?

Anyways, thinking a bit more, I think constipation might also be a possible cause.

Aquarium Fish Constipation

I forget how long, but you deshell and microwave some peas (I'm not sure if they should be frozen or not. Catching up a little in that post I did earlier, dropsy is normally fatal, but constipation is quite a bit less serious.

Well I have no clue if they are scale-less lol. I put some peas in there but no one seems interested. The one is still floating around, but he is getting weaker and I'm afraid I'm going to have another dead oto tomorrow, if not all three. If they all die I am going back and getting my money back for them.

I said this before, but don't feel bad about losing otos (or cardinals for that matter if you go down that route). I believe these along with neon tetras have the highest casualty rate among the more common fish. If you bought them all at the same time, it's a good idea (and it seems like you already are going to) to wait maybe 1-2 weeks before you try otos again (at least from Petsmart) because it was probably a bad batch.

sorry about your otos :( you could try blanched zucchini as well if they aren't taking to the peas....

I disagree about the cardinals, though. they were the first fish in our tank and we still have all 11 of them. they are all quite healthy and active and we've had them for about a month now. I don't think they are as difficult as people make them out to be, but rather quite hardy.

I said this before, but don't feel bad about losing otos (or cardinals for that matter if you go down that route). I believe these along with neon tetras have the highest casualty rate among the more common fish. If you bought them all at the same time, it's a good idea (and it seems like you already are going to) to wait maybe 1-2 weeks before you try otos again (at least from Petsmart) because it was probably a bad batch.

I think it was you who told me to go in the day before they get their new shipment in, right? That is what I will try next time. I definitely am going to be waiting a while after this. The one I inquired about originally is still alive ... but I don't know if he's ok or not. I am thinking about euthanizing him as it seems he doesn't have any strength left and I hate to see him slowly dieing like that. I have never euthanized a fish before :( The other two still seem OK but who knows lol

sorry about your otos :( you could try blanched zucchini as well if they aren't taking to the peas....

I disagree about the cardinals, though. they were the first fish in our tank and we still have all 11 of them. they are all quite healthy and active and we've had them for about a month now. I don't think they are as difficult as people make them out to be, but rather quite hardy.

I always thought that the tetras were one of the best choices for beginners, they seem to be hardy from what I have seen. :)

Cardinals are naturally more hardy than neons, but since is it much harder to get them to breed, most are caught wild (unless something major happened while I was gone). This makes them much more vulnerable when shipped. So, if you buy them soon after shipment, your casualty rate will be high. I have 8 right now, that are doing great (no deaths) but that might also be because they were in the tank (store) for a few weeks.

I have 1 badis who barely eats, is really skinny, and I thought it would die overnight. It's 3 days later, and it is still living, but I'm not sure... It nibbles at the mosquito larvae ad occasionally eats one, but I'm not sure if it's a parasite or just because the kid at the store dropped it on the floor ><

My otos definately do have scales. Loricariids all have scales. It's pimelodids that don't have scales.

Anyways, if it's dropsy it's dropsy. Also, I suggest that instead of getting a shipment of fish the same day as on the day of arrival. Wait at least 2 weeks for them to acclimate to aquarium life and to the local water supply. Imagine having to change from natural water, to pet store water, to your home water in the span of maybe 3 days. Stressful to say the least.

Current Death Toll: 3/5

Debating if I want to go back to Saginaw for another one today.... I think I might just get my money back!

Cardinals are naturally more hardy than neons, but since is it much harder to get them to breed, most are caught wild (unless something major happened while I was gone). This makes them much more vulnerable when shipped. So, if you buy them soon after shipment, your casualty rate will be high. I have 8 right now, that are doing great (no deaths) but that might also be because they were in the tank (store) for a few weeks.

Again, i'm gonna have to disagree. i guess i could have just got lucky, but our 11 cardinals were purchased maybe 2 days TOPS (could have even been the same day, i can't remember) after they got into the pet store. all of our cardinals are happy and healthy for a month now.

ps: sorry for your troubles, LM. that really sucks. are you going to bring them all back? or try your luck with the ones remaining? i wanted to get otos too, this kinda makes me think twice...

since you have having such troubles with the otos, maybe try another kind of fish... may i suggest pitbull plecos? nice and small, and very very cool. i've had great luck with our little guy so far.

I think I am just going to let nature take its course. I'm not driving to saginaw for 2$ again. I would be wasting like 8$ in gas for another fish that will probably die. Maybe I am just meant to have 2... or none lol.

If the other two die then I will be trying a different algae eater. I am starting to wonder the tank they are in is playing a part in their health as well.... it is full of snails and the water params are good but I didn't take good care of that tank befoer I got it ready for them,.

I will be tearing it down and starting from scratch after this. No more snails. They are all over in the 29 anyway lol

Otos are prone to parasites. If you have some anti-parasite food, you could try sticking a couple into zucchini to see if the otos eventually eat them.

Does petsmart have anti parasite food? OR any antibiotics for that reason? I just checked out the 5 and I see those little white worms in there again, they are floating in the water this time . Im thinking that is what's killing these guys...

Back
Top Bottom