Novice in need - Silver Dollars Black Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgingYoungRebel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Inherited a mature vision 260 litre aquarium just last Saturday. Transferred the fish from a friends house and without the obvious distress of transporting the fish so far so good, until the last couple of days I noticed one of the 4 silver dollars has multiple black spots on it's dorsal fin and a small patch of black on it's body where I'm sure I observed a White Mark perhaps an aggression injury before.

I checked nitrates, nitrites and ammonia last night and all are well within recommended limits, nitrites didnt even register a colour in my test kit. I have looked up black spot online and observed that silver dollars in particular are susceptible, and have noticed that advice on how to handle it is varied to the extreme. Some sites say add some marine tank salt, some say turn your temp up to 30 degrees C, some say just leave it and it'll go away. One site specified that the presence of Oscars in the tank could also aid diagnosis but doesn't explain why?! Incase that is significant there are 2 juvenile and one large black oscars and one small albino Oscar.

Would GREATLY appreciate any advice someone with a bigger brain than I could offer. Many many thanks.

Jonathan

I'm not really much help. Are there any other symptoms? Eating, swimming, lethargy?
Good luck!!!

Eating and swimming are normal but the fish can at times seems stressed but no more than his 3 counterparts. He doesn't seem particularly lethargic. As far as I understand it's a nervous breed of fish.

Many thanks.

They are a twitchy bunch but I really love mine.

If you are certain it is black spot disease (a parsitic worm) I'd look at getting some PraziPro and treat the entire tank as indicated.

I know they are more suseptible when stressed, and actually living with Oscars would definately stress these out nervous nellies like Silver Dollars.

I've never had to treat my silvers (or any other fish) for black spot, but had good luck with the PraziPro when I was given a blood parrot with Anchor Worms.

Great reply, I'm in the UK so not sure if my shop will have that brand but am sure there'll be something similar.

Your help is greatly appreciated thank you!

Back
Top Bottom