Now ICK..This is becoming a science project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
:cry: ..Ok after I have killed half of my fish took the Betta to live at the farm.. I sat down today to look at my 6 fish left.1 Zebra Danio(I killed 7 of them this week :cry: ) 1 male guppy that's in love with one of my 4 glass painted Tetra's and with my eye I spy ..ICK :evil: ..Thanks Alli I checked out your article on it..And raising the temp as I peck...Does this ever come to an end? When do I start enjoying my fish.. :(
. I'm the one that all my fish turned in to killing machines and may have been high levels..Had my levels checked at the pet store and all was "fine" Do I just need to breakdown and by my own test kit..since I'm looking at more water problems..Do they make a all in one kit?

I have an old fashion corner filter I just got today :? with carbon and an ammonia eating mixture and of course the fiber ,a penguin 125 bio without the wheel for now (trying to order one)..an underground filter with 2 outlet carbon disk
a flat bubble stick. 2 small bubble stones and a round bubble stone about 3 in round.I placed some pretty marble infront of them...
all in a 20 gal tank.

Without the carbon in my3 filters is this why the amonia will rise....My tank blues have turned into a science project :cry:
I really feel disgusted about my results of a simple dang fish tank *SCREAM*

Heh, fish tanks are a science project in a way; between water parameters, disease, fish compatibility, etc theres a lot to figure out!

I promise you WILL enjoy your fish, it just takes some time. Fish are living complex creatures, and along with that make our lives complicated as well!

Carbon has no effect on the nitrifying bacteria, other then, if left for long periods of time, will have become a home for some of that bacteria. Most of use here only use for specific purposes (removing meds, or tints in the water) and don't leave the carbon in long at all; its usually full from 4 days to 2 weeks depending on how much DOC (dissolved organic compounds) there is in the water (thats what carbon removes), so it doesn't last very long anyway.

Bigals online sells A.P. FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT for 11.99$ ( http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?inCatID=29:Test+Kits&inUID=1069243244.1069243244 ). The only thing it doesn't include is a nitrate test. You'll want your own kits. This way if anything happens you can test the water immediately instead of waiting.

Lastly ich. Welcome to the club. Its a PITA, but as you read, is usually easily treated. And once its treated successfully, it doesn't come back (unless new fish are added to a tank; theres always a chance one of em has a subclinical case of ich). It sounds like you caught it very early - excellent! Do keep in mind, you won't see a change with the heat treatment for 4-5 days, so be patient.

Welcome to the club
lol..Yes I do feel welcome..
Thanks for the test info will get it asap.
I rinse my filter in the bio pump daily and as I just started the new corner one today will keep it checked on and change it out as rxed

Thanks again ..for your time and info..
Will keep you posted on the treatment.. :fadein:

Hey Bearfan :wink:
I set it up about 2months ago and just started adding fish about 2.5 to 3 weeks (approx). I had the water tested before I added the Danio's.. again everything was fine..All seems to be getting along ok..without the Betta's., no bit fins ..no dead female guppies..Just ICK now and getting the water stabilized.. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom