Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now my Male Betta has died...

My beautiful male has died, now.

I don't understand why, He was in a tank totally seperate to the female tank that was just recently ravaged..

I woke up this morning to find him dead, laying on the gravel

He was old, but this has to be more than bad timing.. There was no connection or mixing of objects or water between the male and female tanks, so I doubt it was malicious bug that killed all my females..

All I know is that when I went to bed last night, My Beatufiul Boy was alive, and the tank was absolutely covered in duckweed [ Betta still had places to breath, nade sure of that ].

And I wake up this morning, My Betta is dead and almost all the duckweed is gone.. Not dead, just gone.

Why am I loosing every one of my precious betta's...

Old 05-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

OMG....i'm really sorry to hear that. I can't really offer any suggestions as to what happened but I wanted to offer my condolences. I hope you can find what has happened.

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"
Edgar Bergen (1903 - 1978)
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Um..if the plant are not even in the tank anymore it is time to look to outsidee suspects....roomates/children, cat, dog...

the tank hopping plaque hit fish here even after we had some waay paranoid contamination procedures going on here.
The symptoms were always the same...
typical cycle with no treatment...
fish gets quiet one morning,
by afternoon the caudal is clamped near always,
the tail quarters get stiff,
day 2 fish is depressed and swim bladder symptoms appear, tail end lists downward and fish either is at bottom or top. Mouth and gills swell up. Slime layer procuction and dark patchy spots on surface and inside body (like scuffs adn bruises)Anal fin clamps. Slight chipping of any fine finnage.

Day 3 fish is pale, bruised looking and shows full out dropsy symptoms with other agent.
By end of day 4, the fish is dead.

To date I was only able to save ONE. Out of the original "plague". That was the mean plakat female.

Only connection? they are all highly inbred bettas with no red genes and the tanks had nitrate readings (but not even near 40..we change twice a week...these tanks had readings near 20). Talk about unlikely agents of death.

Evening of day 2 fish gets full dropsy symptoms
We are so paranoid now that we are using the big test kit weekly on our tap.
I need one that detects bio-contaminants. I think something nasty has snuck in the water supply. I think we may use Spring water for every one for a 15 day period and see what happens.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My fish died within 8 hours of showing signs. Often quicker. With no outward signs other than out of personality behavior.

My tanks were planted, No nitrate readings and complete cycle, even now.

There are no children here, and no one that messes with my tanks. I have put the fear of god into the people I live with for just touching the glass, So they know better.

And mine was nothing like yours as far as slim coat and swollen gills and dark patches. The there was only one out of 4 that showed any swimbladder problem.

Every fish died from a different reason, One died of some thread-like fungus, the other had no fungus, but had something wrong with her swim bladder, the third died for unknown reasons. It wasn't a fungus but she had some peeling around her lps. and the male that died last had no connection what so ever to the other tanks. Seriosly, No drippage, No using the samw tools, no moving plants.. Nothing.

Out of the 5 betta's I had, I only have one left.. and its my Original Female, that lives in the 29gal hodgepodge tank.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Week, the sypmtoms are by day..some don't make it that long....
it starts bacterial, but they are wrecks at death if I can keep them going more than a day.

And ours are changed every other day for under 10..twice a week for 10.*shrug*
It is a mystery and disconcerting...

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
William,
I am so sorry that your Bettas are dying off.
They are such beautiful fish.

I hope if/when you decide to get more you have nothing but good luck.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, die, died, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com