NTD? Columnaris? Fungus? NEW CLEARER Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonJulie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I didn't think about cleaning off the glass before the photos, but the ones I've presented here I know the white patches are from the fish, and not from the glass. Gosh, seeing them this close up, I didn't realize how really raggedy they really look.

Today is the last day on Maracyn II, hopefully to treat the Columnaris I was heavily suspecting. They have already concluded treatments of Copper Safe, and Maracyn. I am considering running the Maracyn II until I run out though, for a few more days. I am not sure if it is improving, but I do think some of the white patches have at least shrunk or changed shape. They have had this for a month, so it may just really be a pretty tough infestation to clear up in just a few days? Maybe?

I also have Tetracycline which I haven't tried yet, also supposedly geared toward possible Columnaris which I could try after. I wanted to try Maracyn II first, because I heard that some strains have become immune to Tetracycline because of so much use in the industry. (??)

It could very well be a fungus - in the past few days, it HAS started to look like it's now rising above the skin, potentially on it's way to becoming moldy-feathery looking. I haven't treated for that yet, but I have the medication to do so, some type of Anti-fungus in a cap form I'm supposed to break open and pour into the tank.

To be honest- I think it is a combination of bacterial AND fungus. But look at the photos please. Some others have begun to suspect NTD. At which case, throwing medications and money down the drain is the wrong direction here, unfortunately.

To their credit, their behaviour is excellent. They just don't behave like fish that are wasting away. Their appetite has continued to increase- in fact, they don't even wait for it to drop like they used to before they figured out it was feeding time. They go and eat it right from the feed ring. They school, and are active. I don't see the flashing, or too much of the gasping anymore. Aside from looking like h3ll, they appear pretty normal. They've also grown in size since they've had these white patches. They actively search for food along the bottom, and are quite intelligent at finding it inbetween the rocks and in the plants. They don't appear lethargic. They sort of pick on eachother though, but they've done that for some time.

One strange thing I saw last week, was a male neon tetra "kissing" a female tetra, up and down the sides of her body. Was he eating something? Afterwards, the two of them would bump up until they were touching and swim about 4 inches in close contact. Weird.

Any advice appreciated.

See if you can spot the whitish areas where the tail should be red- there's usually two distinct areas on the tails. In some cases, it's one long patch. (It shows up in these photos as a greyish.)

227206134.jpg

227206310.jpg

227205904.jpg

227205787.jpg

227205633.jpg

227205447.jpg

Other pictures, since the flash made it so bright:

227286302.jpg

227285527.jpg

227285003.jpg

227284429.jpg

227281258.jpg

227280808.jpg

227279856.jpg

227279188.jpg

227278771.jpg

227274109.jpg

227273554.jpg

And yet... here's hope... my best looking Neon. Without flash or contrasting.

227288322.jpg

Looks like columarius to me, I have a molly that has it bad but I started using Melafix and Pimafix and now she is doing much better, it is suppose to clear up in 9 days of using the meds so I have 4 days left but she is already healing and the white cotton spots it healing up.

After this treatment I would give it a bit of time before trying another medication. Too many treatments can cause stress in the fish which can bring on illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom