Occasional scratching okay for a fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
This isn't realated to the molly that recently died, as that is a different tank [ I have 3 tanks, 10gal that I gave to my mother, 10gal betta tank, and 30gal community ]

But, I have some fish that, on occasion, will rub themselves against rocks and such. Its not an all the time thing, just once in a great while. Should I worry about any type of irritatnt or parasite? or is it just normal behavior for a fish to occasionally scratch himself?

If its a really rare occurance I wouldn't worry. Fish get itches just like we do. If it happens on a semi-regular basis, it may be caused by an irritant tho.

The only reason I ask is because I had a baby Sailfin Molly [ just around an inch long and PURE black ] scratching himself for about 15 seconds against the fiddler fireladder..

On an ammusing side note, The Sailfin baby and the Baby female Betta I have in the tank are the same size, and often play together.

Flashing against objects can also be a sign of dominance between males, especially during spawning or establishing of the heirarchy within the tank. Unless it happens more frequently I really wouldn't worry. Flashing is not usually a disease's "only" symptom - so if it were something more serious, I'm sure your fish would be demonstrating other behaviours as well, to indicate illness.

For now, I would just recommend watchful waiting and if you see the behaviour becoming more frequent or if other symptoms develop, then we'll take it from there.

Yeah, Other symptons developed.

Within an hour [ literally [ the fish went from healthy, to covered in ich spots.

Ugh..Why can't I ever get a break.. :bawl:

Going to pick up a couple 100watt heaters for my tank today, and ty to burn the ich out.

William,

So sorry to be reading here your steady stream of ich trouble. It seems to me that you are having ich in one tank, then another, etc.

I am wondering if you might somehow be transfering the ich from one tank to another, say by using the same hose, or net , etc amoung the tanks. Perhaps a complete disinfection of all your fish stuff is in order (maybe wash everything in bleach, then rinse, & rinse ... )?

Good luck with your fish & keep us posted.

From what I understand, ALL fish have ich... much the same as how every human has Staphylococcus on his/her body. It can crop up in ANY tank, without being "transferred" there by a net or hand, etc. If I'm mistaken, please ignore this post, but if this is the case, then there really is no way to "prevent" ich spreading except by keeping water parametres healthy and of course minimizing stress to the fish.

I've found that my loaches and tetras tend to stress out a lot more often than my other fish... the barbs and danios are extremely "hardy" fish and rarely get flustered. If I reach into the tank to do something, the loaches and tetras scatter and hide while the barbs and danios come up to nibble on my hand. *G* So, since I can't stand battling ich, I've been looking for fish who are resistant to it to house w/ my more suseptible fishes...

Sheila

I think you're right, Sheila. I've read that all fish harbor ich, and stressful situations (new tank mates, bad water parameters, etc) will cause it to develop, and certain species are more susceptable than others. I've never had to deal with it. If/when I do, I'll be posting here in a hurry!

I was also considering a 10 gallon tank of cardinal tetras. While I still might do this, I'm researching it, and have read here numerous times that they are not hardy fish, and sometimes the lfs doesn't even carry them because they are difficult to keep. So...maybe I won't, but I'm still thinking about it! They sure are pretty,though!

William, I do agree that you need some good luck in your tanks!! Hang in there!

cindywindy said:
Flashing against objects can also be a sign of dominance between males, especially during spawning or establishing of the heirarchy within the tank. Unless it happens more frequently I really wouldn't worry. Flashing is not usually a disease's "only" symptom - so if it were something more serious, I'm sure your fish would be demonstrating other behaviours as well, to indicate illness.
That's interesting, and comforting. As I posted in another topic, one of my 2 Zebra Danios occasionally flashes him/herself against objects, but after observing him/her for a few days now, no other signs of illness have developed, and he/she seems perfectly healthy and lively otherwise. The 2 Danios take turns chasing each other, but usually it's the bigger, flashing one that seems dominant. And I've particularly noticed him/her rub themselves against stuff while "battling" with the other Danio.

I'm sorry about your fish, tho, William :(

Actually, I've had Columnaris in one tank, and ich in my community tank.

Say.. I got my tank worked up to 88f, what signs should I look for to show that its working?

Give it 4 or 5 days; you should see a reduction in ich spots on the fish.

As for fish always having ich, its actually not true. They may have a subclinical case, where the ich is either hiding in the gills where we can't see it, or the fish's immune system is strong enough to keep an outbreak from becoming serious, but once ich is eradicated from a tank it won't come back unless a new fish/ich cysts are introduced. Theres a great write up here on ich and dormancy: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html

Back
Top Bottom