Odd Betta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my first betta fish I’ve ever had. I’ve had two 55g tanks, one salt and one fresh, a 20g fresh, and a 10g fresh, but the fresh were tropical and semi aggressive tanks. ANYWAYS, I’ve had my betta in a half gallon for about a month and a half (I know, not big enough) so I decided to get him the fluval retreat 5g tank with the integrated filter. In the half gallon he was happy, constantly swimming around, flaring up all the time, ate like a champ, and always got excited when I walked in the room. Well I set up the 5g, got the filter running, added the water conditioner, let the water cool off and let everything settle for about 3 hours. I added him to the tank and at first he was curious, constantly swimming, exploring the tank, and I even put a few betta pellets in since I hadn’t fed him yet, and he went right after them. I could tell the current was a little strong for him, so I tried to angle it up to the surface as much as possible until I found a solution to reduce the flow. Checked on him a few hours later and he was farting around and hiding in the corners. Not flaring up when he saw me like he usually did. This morning I turned on the light to check on him and he was just sitting at the bottom under a bridge I have in the tank. He didn’t flat up or move at all. This behavior is not like himself at all. I turned the filter off before I left for work. What should my approach be when I get home and he still isn’t active even after the filter has been disconnected? Also, if anyone knows, how do I turn down the flow on the filter? I read that you can do it, but when I removed the pump this morning I saw no dials on the pump to reduce the filter flow.

Thanks in advance!

Is your tank cycled?

You may need to buy a smaller filter and put it in if possible.

Is your tank cycled?

You may need to buy a smaller filter and put it in if possible.

No it is not cycled (I know slap on the wrist for me). I am thinking about putting some sponge or cloth in the back of the pump to reduce the flow. Anything aquarium safe that will slow down the intake/output rate.

Do you have a heater in there as well? Are there places for him to hide?

I do not have a heater, but I didn’t have a heater in his other small tank. I wasn’t sure if it would matter in a 5g. There are a good amount of places for him to hide. If I could post pictures I would. The app says I exceed my quota for some reason. I’ll figure it out and post a picture once i get the chance.

And add a heater, unless your house is constantly at 75f then tank size doesn't affect the warmth of the tank. You should get some beneficial bacteria from either the store or from something in one of your other tanks to cycle it faster.

And add a heater, unless your house is constantly at 75f then tank size doesn't affect the warmth of the tank. You should get some beneficial bacteria from either the store or from something in one of your other tanks to cycle it faster.

Believe it or not the house is actually 75 degrees throughout the day and night. I do have some decorations from the other tank I could throw in there.

I personally like keeping a betta tank at 80 degrees. Small heaters are super cheap. If you can seed the tank with BB from another tank that would be ideal. If not, Change out 50% of the water every 4 days and suck out any poo or food when you can and you should be fine. Really, you won't be creating a whole lot of Ammonia with that small of a bioload.

Back
Top Bottom