Odd looking mouth on harlequin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I bought 6 harlequin rasboras for my ten gallon today. In the 5 minute trip home, I lost one. I was quite ticked off to say the least. I moved my Betta temporarily and put them in my 10g. Once they where in I noticed the largest of the remaining 5 has a white mouth. There is no cottony growth and nothing hanging off the mouth. He is acting a little odd. Not hanging with his school as much as the others and pacing the tank glass. But that could just be because it's a new environment. I fed them some micro pellets and he seemed to eat. His mouth kind of looks like your skin does after a few days after a burn. That cloudy white sort if blister. His mouth is constantly open as well. I managed to get a picture of him.

image-3645733353.jpg

I have added two good pinches of salt to the tank so far.
Does anyone know what this is? Is there a way to treat it? I'm fearing something really nasty. :(

He is getting worse now his whole lower jaw is hanging wide open. I've separated him from the others. I will have to do some more reading in the morning.

Firstly, you have at least two species of rasbora in that photo, if not three.

Secondly, I recommend that you treat all 5 fish with a generic antimicrobial medication and do a 6 week quarantine or even take them back and re-buy from a shop that knows how to tell different species apart, getting 10 of one species.

..I only see three Harlequin Raspora.

Are you sure its not just a fungal infection like mouth rot? Ive seen that on the rasporas before... I thought columnaris was alot more deadly, fast acting, and contagious.

..I only see three Harlequin Raspora.
Trigonostigma hengeli (hengeli rasbora - back left), T. heteramorpha (harlequin rasbora - centre) and potentially a T. espei (espei rasbora - back right, not too sure if this isn't another harlequin)

KittyKat said:
Trigonostigma hengeli (hengeli rasbora - back left), T. heteramorpha (harlequin rasbora - centre) and potentially a T. espei (espei rasbora - back right, not too sure if this isn't another harlequin)

Would you like a picture of all 5?
And I was planning on 10 or even 12 but the tank they where going in only has one Betta and I didnt want to overload the biofilter by adding all at once. So it is columnaris?

Well he died. He was in a separate tank over night and died in there. There was another dead in the main tank too. Great! So much for a trusted LFS. They don't take returns just donations. I'm not sure they will take the fish they sold me yesterday. I can't justify spending $20 on medication for $4 worth of fish. I'm stuck.

Is the tank ever going to be safe for fish again? Can I add my Betta back in after the other fish are gone? Most medications I have read about are not available in Australia. There is a tablespoon of salt in the tank now.

On the one hand $20 for $4 worth of fish, on the other hand $20 for 4 lives.

The tank should be fine for fish 2 weeks after running animal-free (not even snails) because most diseases cannot survive without a host. Just remember to feed the filter with household ammonia and keep the lights off so as to not cause algae.

KittyKat said:
On the one hand $20 for $4 worth of fish, on the other hand $20 for 4 lives.

The tank should be fine for fish 2 weeks after running animal-free (not even snails) because most diseases cannot survive without a host. Just remember to feed the filter with household ammonia and keep the lights off so as to not cause algae.

Thanks. I will have to run it with no ammonia then donate some BB from another tank. Pure ammonia is very hard to come by here. I'm jealous of you guys having things available over the counter to treat your fish.

Back
Top Bottom