Oh no! Don't know whats wrong, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will fill out all the other stuff in a min but I need to know right now what this could be.
I just looked in my tank and my golden barb's mouth is REALLY messed up.
Its stuck open in that O shape and its red all around (almost like he got beat up)
I didn't see any gravel in his mouth.. is this a disease or an accident?

Weird.

So for about 30min (er, thats when i noticed this) his mouth was stuck in an O shape and kinda red.. seriously it looked like he got beat up... so I tried to catch him to see if it was gravel and maybe to QT him. I couldnt catch him, so I decided to lay off for a while.. feed them and keep an eye on him.

I look, and his mouth is back to normal, still really red, but he is able to eat.. and his mouth isn't stuck open.

I mean, thats a good thing... but weird, no less. I was worried it was lockjaw

My little devils of the tank are my oddessa barbs.. but my golden barb is bigger than they are and they don't ever cause more damage than nipped fins.

I have a red tailed black shark, but he is really docile

I have a new angel, but she is a baby and not aggressive

Other than that its just hatchets, serpae tetras, and cories

I freaked out because that is something you don't want or expect to see. And Ive already had my fair share of fish deaths lately and I couldn't bare to part with my golden barb.

I guess if I see a fish with a black eye, I'll know who the culprit was =o)

Back
Top Bottom