Oh no!! got stuck to filter!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you can do whatever you like with your fish, I will never flush mine. This is a retarded conversation I seem to be having with a 15 year old.

:D :D

Comparing slavery to flushing a dead fish?!?! Thats not even relevant to this discussion.

Actually I was comparing Slavery to thing "everybody" does. He said something like, people been doing it for years. Assuming that that makes it ok, so I came at him, well slavery happened for X amount of years, does that make it ok. So no I was not comparing slaver to flushing a dead fish, I was comparing the acts that people do over time that people at that time deem acceptable. Do not twist my words :) :D

So it's either, have a full ceremonial burial, or flush down the toilet? There's no inbetween path?!

What's wrong with taking the dead fish out and putting it in the bin anyway? It's effectively no different to any other organic waste.

I think people just want it out of the house and out of sight quickly, and don't like the idea of their pet fish being in the bin!

LOL yeah that was pretty funny :D

Personally I throw dead fish into the garbage. This is gonna sound EQUALLY stupid, but for some reason I hate the thought of wasting a whole tank of clean toilet water just to flush a fish! :eyes:

The best was when a girl at our lfs tried to flush a dead oscar down the toilet...and flooded the whole fish department.

I freeze all of mine and then bury them. I don't have the heart to flush of throw them in the garbage. :( You wouldn't do that to a dog or cat would you? Same thing to me....

I guess it just depends on an individual's personality and psycological needs, and the level of attachment to the animal. I have never had a fish that I felt that strongly emotionally attached to, but that's not to say it will never happen ;)

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting attached to a fish - If a person feels they need to give it a burial for closure, then that is exactly what they should do! :) but I think how we treat them when they're alive is more illustrative of our fondness for them than how we treat them after they die.

Well, I can be mean sometimes, and I know some people don't like me, but I sure hope they don't throw me in the dumpster when I die! LMAO

Whoa I just stumbled into this thread! So the gist of what the one poster was saying is: "Since a LFS does it, we should do it." Hmmmm don't think so...

Yes, our chickens go in the dumpster as well. By burying animals we attract wildlife to our property, which only results in more dead animals. Two years ago we buried a cow carcass in our field and had a grizzly come and dig it up.

On a farm death is a part of every day life. I will spend the time to bury a special beloved pet ( or better yet, have it cremated) but the fish fall into the same category as the chickens, rabbits, mice, and other livestock. In the bin. It sounds a little callus but it comes from practicality. It does *not* mean I didn't love the animal. I have brought chickens in the house to tend to their ailments, given them stitches and TLC, but I can still ring their necks if their suffering is great and from there they get a "gosh, that's too bad" and into the bin they go.

I'm not saying there is a "proper" way to deal with the remains of a dead animal in your care - just that this is the way that I and many other people do it, and that there is no reason we should be told that we are wrong. Like I said before, a person should do what they feel they need to do. If this includes a ceremonial burial, then that is cool. :cool: It's okay to feel that way!

As my girlfriend's mother says, "When I die, just throw me into the woods and let the bears have a feast." She is serious.

Yes, our chickens go in the dumpster as well. By burying animals we attract wildlife to our property, which only results in more dead animals. Two years ago we buried a cow carcass in our field and had a grizzly come and dig it up.

On a farm death is a part of every day life. I will spend the time to bury a special beloved pet ( or better yet, have it cremated) but the fish fall into the same category as the chickens, rabbits, mice, and other livestock. In the bin. It sounds a little callus but it comes from practicality. It does *not* mean I didn't love the animal. I have brought chickens in the house to tend to their ailments, given them stitches and TLC, but I can still ring their necks if their suffering is great and from there they get a "gosh, that's too bad" and into the bin they go.

I'm not saying there is a "proper" way to deal with the remains of a dead animal in your care - just that this is the way that I and many other people do it, and that there is no reason we should be told that we are wrong. Like I said before, a person should do what they feel they need to do. If this includes a ceremonial burial, then that is cool. :cool: It's okay to feel that way!
Well no bears in Australia but we have foxes that dug up my beloved bantam died i buried him next day the hole was dug up :( And good point i loved all of the chickens that died!

Yeah, as other people have probably discovered by now, this discussion is about as constructive as watching a dog poop. (actually I bet this will start an argument about what you do with the poop after you pick it up off the lawn - do you bury it, have a funeral for it, or throw it away?) LOL. I better not dare share what I do with my garden at the end of the season...<gasp> it turns into mulch and I dont have a ceremony for it! But I do love my garden...Anyways, I digress.

Seriously, its sad that anybody would get bent on an internet forum about who flushes fish, who puts them in the bin, and who buries them?

Some people have nothing better to do.....

Back
Top Bottom