OK - Platy on death's door... or not!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am puzzled. Wednesday, I awoke to our female variegated sunset platy on her side under an amazon sword leaf not moving at all. About 30 minutes later, she was about 3 inches away just "laying" in some java moss. Her breathing was extremely labored. She showed no outward signs of disease or trauma. Water parameters are fine. Did a pwc just for the sake of it anyway.

The little bit of turbulence of pouring some water back in tank "knocked" her to the sandy bottom. She wasn't moving (outside of labored gill movement).

After a while, my wife and daughters said "you need to do something"... so I prepared my "dip container" (a very large pickle jar) with a little over 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt, plus 1/2 of the fungus med tablets I have, plus a small squirt of start right. I gently netted her out of the tank (absolutely no resistance or attempt to flee). I eased her in the jar and kept an eye on her.

Her breathing sped up a bit, but she never went upright. I left the jar on the kitchen counter and had to get to the office. I didn't think much about her again... working at the office for a couple of hours, I have lunch w/my wife, then stop by house to check on the fish. She doesn't look good so good, but is almost upright. I make the decisions (in absence of wounds our obvious disease signs) to put her back in the tank and let whatever happens, happen.

I get a call from my wife about two hours later to tell me that she is absolutely still, tail straight up, nose near the sand bottom, not far from a filter intake. I told her I would check when I got home.

Fast-forward about 5 hours. I walk in the door... where's the platy? She is swimming with the other fish! She is a bit sluggish, but a LOT better than last I saw her.

Jump forward another couple of days... and she is looking like her old self - no signs that she had any troubles or encounter. She is eating fine, looks healthy, and ... well... who knows.

Whatever the case - I cannot imagine my "treatment" of her helped in any meaningful way...???:blink:

But whatever... she seems fine now. Anyone else experienced anything quite like that?

Something I hadn't even considered... Could this fish have been constipated?

Wow that was incredible! I have no idea what happen d, hopefully someone more experience d will chime in, but I just wanted to say great job and I'm glad your fish is better!

Well - the miraculous "recovery" was a whole one weak long...

This afternoon, she was kind of "laying around". When I got home from a meeting this evening, she was buried up in my bigger cloud of Java Moss - and was dead as a doornail (and stiff, already).

So, she just received her "burial at sea".

The only thing I could see that even remotely looked abnormal (beyond being dead!) was possibly a few scales missing near her anus...

Back
Top Bottom