Okay to use preventatives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if it is okay to use fungus/infection preventatives or should I just wait to see signs of an infection? I just like to be extra cautious and would hate to see an infection break out and lose all my fish. After see some of the cases here it scares me :( ... I heard Mardel sentry bactershield was good. Any other suggestions?? Or do you think it's safer not to use them? Thanks guys!

I wouldn't use meds unless actually treating for something. Using them too often I would think would make the fish immune to them over time rendering the meds useless. For example antibiotics become useless when a person takes them all of the time. Also some meds can cause health issues when used for too long.

Using meds can alter your water and create high ammonia. I would only use it when I have to. U can add melafix when you add new fish as a once off precaution but I wouldn't dose the tank up unless you need it.

Back
Top Bottom